thrashj7

May 17, 2017
Vancleave, MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Will be replacing my 1 1/2 HP pump but after much reading am still confused as to best size. When i replaced my original StaRite pump i just went with same size. After doing some reading on flow rates i'm confused on exactly what HP pump i should get. I have 1 skimmer, 3 returns on side opposite skimmer, 2 jets on step, no bottom drain. No water features or extras. I do have 1 return that was for Polaris cleaner that i no longer use, its on same side as skimmer pretty much toward top of water level. ( I usually leave it shut off, is this ok or should i be using it as a return also?)
But main question:
My filter is rated at 62 GPM, current pump is rated at 84 GPM. If i understand correctly i would be limited by my piping size, which is 1 1/2 inch, which would be about 43 GPM. Is this correct? Is pump over 43 GPM basically overkill? I thought about dropping down to 1 or possibly even 3/4 HP.
And lastly would i benefit from 2 speed or a variable speed pump? Brands i'm considering , (in my current price range ) are XtremepowerUS and Harris pumps. Any thoughts on those pump brands?

With variable speed pumps, HP is not hugely important anymore. I would go with a variable speed pump and run it at lower RPM which will save you a LOT of money in electric. Single speed pumps are outlawed already in some states.

vsp-costs-b.jpg

Reactions: thrashj7
So i could drop down to 1 HP vsp and be ok with my pool set up?
And any feedback on the Harris, XtremepowerUS or possibly Calimar pumps? I understand Blue Torrent makes Calimar and Black and Decker pumps, which receive good reviews.

So i could drop down to 1 HP vsp and be ok with my pool set up?
And any feedback on the Harris, XtremepowerUS or possibly Calimar pumps? I understand Blue Torrent makes Calimar and Black and Decker pumps, which receive good reviews.
Go with the largest horsepower rated and turn the RPM down for more energy savings. You should more than save the price difference in energy savings over the life of the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.