What size hood over bbq

Jun 29, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
I'm going to be installing a 42" lynx BBQ under a patio. I purchased BBQ and hood almost 2 yrs ago (same time I purchased house appliances during home remodel). Company sold me a 42 inch hood.

I've done some online research and it seems some folks recommend a hood that extends 4-6 inches beyond each side of BBQ. Information out there is very limited.

Does anyone have any real world first hand experience in this area?

Is it essential the hood be larger than BBQ when installing in a covered patio?

Thanks

Jack

Hello! I see you haven't received a reply yet on your post about a BBQ hood. I just wanted to let you know we haven't forgotten about you. This reply should get your posting updated back to the top of the queue where hopefully someone experienced with your specific question can provide some constructive answers. Thanks for checking-in with TFP, and have a great day.

I'd make an anonymous call to a local building department and ask. As far as i can see the code only requires a vent hood of the same size. Because residential is more about the exhaust than fire suppression. If it were a commercial installation it might be different.

But I think your question was what is the best practice? That would be a over sized hood. Better yet a commercial hood with fire suppression.

Then hood size is not the issue. As long as the fan in the hood is powerful enough to create a draft and draw the smoke to it. What is the CFM of the fan? Where is the grill placed?

Hoods are required by code in California, but you need to understand in some configurations these won't work at all. If the area is exposed to crosswinds even a light breeze can overwhelm the fan and push smoke into corners and dead areas. In those rare cases you have to design the kitchen so you work with the breeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.