What pump timer should i upgrade to?

TonyTone

Sep 24, 2018
Dallas TX
Upgrading this old pool a little at a time, as we get enough money for each phase.

And well, we've finally reached electrical.

My pool subcontractor just installed the new variable speed 3hp Black & Decker pump, and now he's telling me my old timer might not have enough power for it? I'm pretty clueless about this.

I guess i'm looking for: can work for this 3hp B&D pump, but also power my booster pump, has freeze protection (but i've also got a freeze protection box already on the wall), and maybe, ideally, has an app i can use from my phone.

What should I buy?

See photos for old/current timer and install progress.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9991.jpg
    IMG_9991.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9992.jpg
    IMG_9992.jpg
    463.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9993.jpg
    IMG_9993.jpg
    702.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9994.jpg
    IMG_9994.jpg
    530.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_9995.jpg
    IMG_9995.jpg
    569.6 KB · Views: 7
Upgrading this old pool a little at a time, as we get enough money for each phase.

And well, we've finally reached electrical.

My pool subcontractor just installed the new variable speed 3hp Black & Decker pump, and now he's telling me my old timer might not have enough power for it? I'm pretty clueless about this.

I guess i'm looking for: can work for this 3hp B&D pump, but also power my booster pump, has freeze protection (but i've also got a freeze protection box already on the wall), and maybe, ideally, has an app i can use from my phone.

What should I buy?

See photos for old/current timer and install progress.

Thank you!
Your pool contractor is, apparently, unfamiliar with the way a VSP like yours operates. It doesn't use that timeclock any more. If it is wired so that the timer turns power on and off to the pump it is done WRONG. Your VSP has a built-in clock and timer and needs constant power for the clock to operate. You set the time in the pump, then set the schedules and speeds you want to run and when the cycle starts, all in the pump.

Looks like the pump has been sitting there for a while. Are you experiencing problems?

Reactions: dfwnoob
Nothing is actually hooked up yet. Pool is empty (being replastered). Pump is brand new, just plumbed in and a little dirty from digging and runoff.

RE: the pump being the timer itself, that's kind of what i was thinking, but good to hear it confirmed by an expert. So in my situation, how does freeze protection and the booster pump factor in?

Nothing is actually hooked up yet. Pool is empty (being replastered). Pump is brand new, just plumbed in and a little dirty from digging and runoff.

RE: the pump being the timer itself, that's kind of what i was thinking, but good to hear it confirmed by an expert. So in my situation, how does freeze protection and the booster pump factor in?
If the Black and Decker has freeze protection, when it runs water will also be going through the booster pump. Any time the filter pump is running and the valves are in "pool" position there is water going through a booster. Safest thing to do if you are worried about freeze is to run your system very early in the morning during the time it may freeze.
While my pump has freeze protection now, for the 20+ years I didn't have that, my system ran from 2:00AM until 8:00AM (what are considered the freezing hours) with no issues even though in some very cold years I had ice in the pool. You just set the pump and booster timers for something like that and change back if needed in the warmer months. With my VSP, I still start my filter cycle at 2:00AM and it runs for the next 14.5 hours (stops before "peak" hours which are higher electricity rates). Cost is less than $30.00 a month for the pool. Have never had a freeze issue.

That makes sense, but I guess what i'm asking is, how do you power/set the timer for the booster pump? Since the big pump is no longer part of the timer situation.

Am I asking that correctly?
Find a speed that makes sure the booster has sufficient water to work properly and not be damaged. Set the booster timer to start 1/2hour later and then turn off before the pump changes to a slower speed. That's one of the issues with a VSP and a booster-pump cleaner. My system, pump on at 2:00AM, has the booster turn on at 2:30AM, off at 4:30AM, pump lowers speed at 5:00AM.

Copy that. So what you're saying is, your booster is still connected to one of those dial type wall timers. And of course, whatever time that is set at, your VSP is providing sufficient water during those hours.

Copy that. So what you're saying is, your booster is still connected to one of those dial type wall timers. And of course, whatever time that is set at, your VSP is providing sufficient water during those hours.
I use a digital Intermatic as it controls both the SWG and the booster, but yes you have the concept right.
You can use the T104 for the booster as long as the time is set to run between the hours the filter-pump runs at a speed that will keep it full of water. What that is depends on your pool, they're all different.
As it appears that your second, booster, timer is safety wired, you will either have to leave the left timer on at all times, change the way the second clock gets its power or move the booster-pump wires to the clock on the left and use it.

I'm using a modified Intermatic PF1202T timer. {The left wheel runs the SWG and power to the heater. The right wheel runs the booster pump. The pool pump is directly wired and is not controlled by the Intermatic timer. The pump a Black & Decker 3hp VS pump. The pump has its own timer. I coordinate the times on the B&D Pump & Intermatic controls.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.