What order to plumb electrical heater.

Apr 18, 2024
Alabama
We have a new lagoon pool and we currently have a polaris booster pump and salt water chlorinator after the sand filter in the plumbing setup. We are about to add a Hayward heat pump to the pool and I need some help. I plan on adding bypass valves and a check valve with the salt water chlorinator after the heater plumbing but I'm unsure as to where to plumb the booster pump. Can someone give advice and pictures or schematics would be greatly appreciated.

We have a new lagoon pool and we currently have a polaris booster pump and salt water chlorinator after the sand filter in the plumbing setup. We are about to add a Hayward heat pump to the pool and I need some help. I plan on adding bypass valves and a check valve with the salt water chlorinator after the heater plumbing but I'm unsure as to where to plumb the booster pump. Can someone give advice and pictures or schematics would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have an attached spa? Makes a difference in where the booster gets its water.

No spa. I do know that there is a dedicated pool inlet return for the booster that is used for the pool vacuum. The current inlet is before the chlorinator and the the inlet return is then dedicated and bypasses the chlorinator. So should the inlet into booster pump be plumbed before the heater or after or does it matter? The only time the booster pump is used is for vacuuming the pool. Does the water going into booster pump need to be cooler water before heater or does it matter if warm water enters pump post heater? I'm guessing it really doesn't matter. Thanks for the help.

I'm guessing it really doesn't matter.

You guessed correctly. Doesn't matter.

Put it after the heater. Diverting water before the heater inlet can cause the heater to have less flow then it needs and damage the heater.

We are doing a 180 and are now going to go with a natural gas heater as opposed to electric heat pump. We have a 25000 gallon pool and we are curious as to what size heater is recommended as well as what brand is recommended? The pool is only 2 years old and I also need help with plumbing the heater. I asked last week about the correct sequence with plumbing to electric heat pump and I'm guessing its the same with natural gas heater. We have variable speed pump, sand filter, booster pump and salt water chlorinator. The booster pump has its on dedicated out inlet for vacuum. How is the plumbing set up? I want to add a bypass to of course not use the heater in the summer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

We are doing a 180 and are now going to go with a natural gas heater as opposed to electric heat pump. We have a 25000 gallon pool and we are curious as to what size heater is recommended as well as what brand is recommended? The pool is only 2 years old and I also need help with plumbing the heater. I asked last week about the correct sequence with plumbing to electric heat pump and I'm guessing its the same with natural gas heater. We have variable speed pump, sand filter, booster pump and salt water chlorinator. The booster pump has its on dedicated out inlet for vacuum. How is the plumbing set up? I want to add a bypass to of course not use the heater in the summer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
The house we just moved out of had a 40,000 btu gas Hayward heater. I’ll attach a picture of how it was plumbed. We had a 23,000 pool. The labels are because I made this for my husband who had to take care of the pool when I went out of town once, and I needed him to know what I was talking about when I told him what to do🤣. It’s kind of hard to see it in this pic, but the salt cell is behind the pump motor.

Attachments

• IMG_7128.jpeg
    IMG_7128.jpeg
    406.2 KB · Views: 4
No difference to what was discussed here.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So the pool we have is a lagoon pool with 25000 gallons. I've read different opinions on size of the heater. What is your opinion on size? We were thinking 250k to 300k Btu but l've also read where some people have 400k btu heaters for my pool size.

There is no substitute for BTU's. Get the largest heater your budget allows. A larger heater will heat the pool faster with the same amount of energy. There is no efficiency saving to getting a smaller heater. Just a greater one time purchase cost.