What next? My pool is still green....

Chrystal_28 said:
Haven't tested chlorine yet but just did a PH test and it is high-8.2 or higher. I know from reading this happens during the shocking process but should I add some MA to bring it down some since I'm still not seeing any change in my water? Will this make any difference or just keep doing what I'm doing with the SLAM process?

If your FC was higher than 10, your pH reading will be inaccurate.

Hi, I skimmed through your thread and I have a couple of questions. When you initially put in 25 pounds of "shock", do you remember if it was cal-hypo or dichlor based? Have you tested the CYA since the initial test on the 14th? What is the % strength of the bleach you are currently using?

If you have not re-tested CYA since the 14th please test it again and read the result in full daylight, holding the viewing tube at waist level with the sun at your back. This will give you the most accurate results. You can also re-read the results by pouring the test back into the mixing vial and re-pouring it into the viewing tube to confirm your results.

I don't know what type it was, didn't know any of that mattered at the time (oh the things I've learned). But I did test my CYA before I began the SLAM process. I am going now to get more bleach (8.25%) and when I get back I am going to retest because something, somewhere is off. Either I'm not doing the test right or I've missed something. Should I try the DE to see if that makes any difference or is my water still too green?

Again I say thank you to all who are helping me through this!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would focus on your FC. It does sound like maybe your CYA is higher than you think and you are adding to enough CL each day to keep up with the new growth but not enough to overwhelm and kill the algae. It feels like you are trying to pass a car going 25 MPH while you are going 26. I am going to guess your CYA is much higher than we think and you either need to go to a higher FC shock target or break out the sump pump and get some fresh water in there to get your CYA back in range...or replace it all as has been discussed.

I don't know the cost and quality or your fill water but it sounds like it's at least worth looking into. If you have a sewage charge based on water consumption, you can often get the sewage charge reduced if you let them know you did a pool fill.

OK....I just retested the CYA and it is higher. I poured the sample in the vial several times and had my son check too and it is reading between 70-80 so I'll go with 75? It didn't hit me until I read the post earlier about how much shock I put in my pool last week that I was also adding stabilizer so it's been steadily going up the past few days and that's why I haven't been keeping up because I wasn't testing the CYA daily I was just staying on the same shock level for a CYA of 50-60.
Now, do I drain some water and bring it down some (is it going to continue to climb...I put the last dose of that type shock in it 10 days ago) or do I start my shock process over using a CYA of 75 and go from there?

I think now that we figured this out I will see better results quicker.

You should use the pool calculator to determine how much water you need to drain to lower your CYA to 30ppm. You will use less bleach than trying to slam the pool at 80 ppm. Stick with liquid bleach to slam the pool and you should start to see real progress.

So, if your fill water is clean and cheap, I would aim for at least a 50% water replacement and then you can go back to SLAMing hard. I would go back to slamming as soon as you start filling the pool with your clean CYA-free water.

A CYA of 70-80% will make it near impossible to slam it cost effectively.

techguy said:
So, if your fill water is clean and cheap, I would aim for at least a 50% water replacement and then you can go back to SLAMing hard. I would go back to slamming as soon as you start filling the pool with your clean CYA-free water.

A CYA of 70-80% will make it near impossible to slam it cost effectively.

Just to clarify....

you mean a CYA of 70 - 80 ppm......

not 70 - 80%, which would be WAAAAAY more than parts per million.

Waiting on my husband to get home with a pump and we will start the drain/refill.
You say to start the SLAM process while filling. Just use 30 as my CYA and test the FC/CC with the water that is in the pool and plug those numbers in the calculator? I just want to make sure I am doing this right....I can't believe I didn't think of my CYA going up when I put the granulated shock in the pool and have wasted the last 3 days :(

But... you learned from your mistake and now you really understand the relationship between chlorine and CYA!

Yes, you can assume you have the CYA level of your post-refill target for the purposes of adding FC. Even if you add a little extra. If you have ANY debris in the pool, this is great time to vacuum it to waste.

With a CYA of 75, you'd need to drain 60% of your pool to get it down to a CYA of 30.

If you want to start SLAM-ming it right as you start to refill it, I would think you should put "9200" in the gallons column (40% of 23,000 gallons) to figure what your FC level should be to shock. Then keep approximating how many gallons you have in your pool after a half hour or so, test again and re dose according to the new gallonage.

This is an educated guess....not 100% sure that is accurate. But I'd imagine putting in the amount of FC to reach SLAM level for 23,000 gallons when you only have 40% of that might lead to a bleached liner....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.