JimWW

May 15, 2018
Dallas TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm have a cloudy greenish problem. I have maintained CYA at about 50 (always), FC level at (usually) 5-10, with a high of 30 three weeks ago when I first noted the algae. Since, I have changed my filter cartridges twice ( I have two sets and clean them pretty thoroughly before and again after they are stored) with pH of 7.2. When this started four weeks ago with the algae, I did the high FC thing with some improvement, but not great. Did the cartridge changes 10 days apart (pressure didn't get high, but I had to do something) and still cloudy with new green dust every day. I am absolutely a believer in chlorine as sanitizer and algae killer, but it doesn't seem to be keeping up with the algae. Thinking of doing some Polyquat and have ordered it. I don't drain the pool ever (well once after it filled with furniture and tree limbs when the tornado missed us by about a mile), but polyquat is metal free so not scared of it, but is it likely to work? The chlorine is high enough to trust for safe, but I'd like it to look better!

Welcome to TFP.
Have you read the SLAM Process? It appears you tried part of it but not sure. The key piece in the SLAM is to MAINTAIN the FC level by testing every 3-4 hrs. If you just dump in chlorine and then do it again 24-36 hrs later, it is not attacking the algae.

Others may have ideas on polyquat. However, most algaecides are not suited for clearing an algae issue once it has started. It is more preventative. Please read

I'd also add one more thing, test kit aside... Since you are seeing dead algae from your high FC, are you making sure to brush every nook and cranny (pool light niches, waterline, other areas that might be hiding algae)?? Sometimes algae is hard to kill because it can create a protective barrier over itself that chlorine may not be strong enough to remove, which is why brushing is really important. I'd also recommend doing an OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) as well. How long are you running your filter pump during this? 24 hours? or only 8 hours a day?

For testing I use the TF-100 test kit from time to time. For daily use I use AquaChek test strips and I find I get almost identical results. They differ some on the cyanuric acid reading, but FC and TC are Very similar except that the strips only test FC up to 10 and when I'm aiming higher, or anytime things don't seem to be working as they should, I use the kit.

But good news, it looks as if I just needed to be more patient. Two days after my post above, crystal clearness was back. I think I just got behind in my chlorination and maybe my reserve set of filters have hole. When I took them out for the newer pair, the pressure was maybe too low on the pressure gauge, suggesting that algae (dead or alive) was washing through and back into the pool. At any rate, all is well: I own some algaecide and have no reason to use it. Perfect !

And thanks for the advice. I don't have much in the way of nooks and crannies (or rather my pool doesn't - my body seems to have more of them by the year) and I was brushing pretty well daily.

ps I really enjoy taking care of the pool myself. One problem though is the one time, leaving town, that I asked a friend to look in, he got it out of whack. It would nice to have a twice a year person I trusted for when we're away.

For testing I use the TF-100 test kit from time to time. For daily use I use AquaChek test strips and I find I get almost identical results. They differ some on the cyanuric acid reading, but FC and TC are Very similar except that the strips only test FC up to 10 and when I'm aiming higher, or anytime things don't seem to be working as they should, I use the kit.
In the past, I had found the AquaChek strips to be accurate for FC as well (in general), but they're so awful for everything else (especially CYA and TA) compared to either my Taylor2006C or TF-PRO. Regardless, I would recommend you still do a proper test with your TF-100 for FC at least 1x-2x a week, so you're absolutely sure. Test strips are mostly garbage (and I'm being nice compared to what some others here would say about them, lol).

The algaecide may still come in handy some day... At least if you bought Polyquat-60 which is copper-free, there are uses for it so don't toss it out!

Reactions: JimWW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.