Apr 18, 2023
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi Friends,

Winter is coming to New York. My AGP is covered and everything disconnected. My question for you all is: what absolutely must come indoors, what can stay in my unheated garage, and what can stay out where it is?

The heater is hardwired and can’t be moved, so I’m covering that with a tarp. Should the SWG, pump, and filter come in to the basement, or would they be safe in the garage which will reach freezing temperatures and below?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

No equipment must come inside.

All my equipment has stayed outside for over 20 years without ill effects.

Some folks bring their stuff inside because it makes them feel better.

Do whatever makes you feel good.

Last edited:
I remove my cell - it & all the hoses/pipe pieces go in the shed. I cover the pump & filter with a little tarp (mostly to keep water/ice out of the mpv).
My filter has 250# of sand in it - she ain’t movin!
I also remove my pressure gauge and it lives inside the house in the “pool stuff” basket where my test kit lives. My original gauge didn’t live through the 1st winter so I just remove it now. It takes up little space.
My robot & it’s “brain” hibernates over the winter in the deck box on my deck.

Reactions: synapsid
My filter has 250# of sand in it - she ain’t movin!
Season 5 Laugh GIF by BBC Three

• Haha
Reactions: Mdragger88
When I had a tiny little intex sand filter I put it in the shed if I took the pool down but otherwise it stayed outside

+1. My HVAC guy said to cover the tops of heaters/ACs to keep the bulk of debris out, but to leave the sides open to breathe and be less hospitable to rodents.

Great advice all around, thanks all. My filter is a cartridge filter, easy enough to move but if it can stay in place, I’ll leave it! And glad to know the pump can stay out too-I didn’t really want to mess with the bonding wire connected to it. Makes sense to let the sides of the heater breathe, just like with a central air unit. Salt cell is in the garage, now just need to count down till spring!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.