what kind of winter cover?

There are on line pool supply companies that have great sales on....all kinds of covers.
When I said I wouldn't spend the money, it doesn't mean that I hate the Safety Cover. It is also a good selling feature.

We've lived here for not even 2 years, so not looking to sell, and more likely, this is our home for a very long time, or forever.

I've had both a mesh and a solid safety cover over the years. The solid cover needs a pump to keep the water off. The solid seems to keep the pool a little cleaner in the spring. It's very heavy to move with just one person. I don't notice the anchors at all. I've had dogs run across the cover. I had a toddler whose mother got busy chatting end up on the cover. All in all it's about how much risk are you willing to live with.

So $3500 for a mesh safety cover and installation. Or $500 for another tarp. Give me the reasons I should do a safety cover? If it lasts 20-25 years I’m still better off cost wise with buying a tarp every 5 years.

Honestly, if every pool decision is purely financially based, then get a bull dozer and fill your pool in with dirt. If you want some better thoughts to justify the cost, I will offer some.

FIrst, I'm not sure how your quote breaks down, but there are multiple suppliers of covers. Loop Loc is highest quality, but highest price. You can get cheaper ones as well. I feel like your size pool should be able ot find an installed one for $2500 or less.

Second, safety covers make your pool easier to open. Leaves adn debris dont fall into the pool. Some sediment with a mesh cover that might make the walls dirty, but the water will stay clear. This means when you go to open, you dont have gallons of super dirty tarp water and month long leave piles falling into your pool. This means fewer chemicals and much less time when opening.

You also will not have critters get into your water. Sure some worms and small bugs get in, but there is no chance that a rabbit, deer, racoon, etc will fall into the pool and rot over the winter months.

Just looking at your pool will look much nicer. The safety covers end up staying clear (except for snow) so anytime you look at the pool, it looks much nicer, as opposed to a tarp that looks like an eyesore.

I would guess that a safety cover will last as long, if not much longer than a tarp cover.

The list of pros for a tarp is basically a list of 1 thing, it is cheaper than a safety cover. The con list is huge such as water gets dirtier, huge safety hazard, looks terrible, etc.

Interesting because my water is super clean when we open with a tarp. Nothing gets in. Literally this year we had stains on the walls but that was it. Water was clear blue.

Interesting because my water is super clean when we open with a tarp. Nothing gets in. Literally this year we had stains on the walls but that was it. Water was clear blue.
Yeah, that's definitely how it is supposed to be. I think what the other poster is referring to is the tarp water, which is nasty, and sometimes, some of it can accidentally get mixed into the pool (lead, tarp failure, user error or mistake opening).

MY point was about teh tarp water being dirty/nasty, and how easy it is to get that nasty dirty water into the pool if you are not careful. If you are careful, you can avoid the tarp water getting into the pool, but most are not successful completely with this.

MY point was about teh tarp water being dirty/nasty, and how easy it is to get that nasty dirty water into the pool if you are not careful. If you are careful, you can avoid the tarp water getting into the pool, but most are not successful completely with this.

Oh gotcha. We pay the pool store to open it and they are very successful and it’s worth it to us!

I’ve used a tarp to cover our 16x32 IG pool for 4 years. The $400 tarp has worked well & I could possibly get one more winter out of it but I’m tired of the ugly looks and fighting with the water bags every time it storms. I’m in the process of getting quotes to have a safety cover installed mainly for the aestetics. The pool is right next to our patio and we use the patio all winter for family & friend gatherings. We also have grandchildren that visit so the safety aspect will be a big bonus. All this has been weighed against the cost - planning for around $3,500. Good luck on your decision.

I think I’m just going with a new tarp. We literally don’t even go into the backyard in the winter. Animals aren’t an issue. It seems for us the safety cover doesn’t benefit us much. Thanks for all the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Again we don’t have any safety issues with the tarp. Yes I understand my pool is safer open than closed but I’m
Still closing it this winter. We keep the gate locked and don’t go into the backyard at all.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.