What is this

Rishstev

May 1, 2019
Florida
I have a saltwater pool. I have had 2 brown patches of what looks like soil in the same spot within a week. When I suck it up with my hose it suck up fine. It is very light like soil and starts to spread around in the water. After cleanup it leaves a spot on the pool surface. I have a pool screen and the doors are always closed. Please let me know what you think it is.

Welcome! :wave: Looks like it could be organic. Can you post a full set of water test results? A TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit is preferred. That would tell us a lot.

Also make sure to update your signature with all of your pool details, and take a moment to review our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Welcome!

It looks like potting soil to me. And that stuff tends to be pretty lightweight, so I could see it getting stirred in and taking a long time to settle out. And if it's fortified with any fertilizers, there's your stain.

Look around. Any potted plants? Is the dog tracking something in?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was curious to see if you had a sand filter. In any case, you might want to take a look at the filter to see if it's retaining any of that stuff you're finding in the pool. If you clean the cartridge(s), make note of the clean pressure on the gauge so you know when to clean it again (25% increase).

Oh, and last question for the night .... your sig .... that is an inground "plaster" corrrect?

You might consider the possibility that there is a break in the cartridge zone...and that some of the old dirt from the cartridge or housing is making its way into the water flow and actually being ADDED to the pool from the filter!

But looking at your "stain" photo, it also looks like you could be losing marcite (actually being eaten away by a too corrosive chemical balance), and the darkness is the lower layer of pool concrete, which could have rust and discoloration from pool construction rebar getting close to the surface. How old is your marcite pool surface? Hope this helps...

Reactions: TexasPool128
You might consider the possibility that there is a break in the cartridge zone...and that some of the old dirt from the cartridge or housing is making its way into the water flow and actually being ADDED to the pool from the filter!

But looking at your "stain" photo, it also looks like you could be losing marcite (actually being eaten away by a too corrosive chemical balance), and the darkness is the lower layer of pool concrete, which could have rust and discoloration from pool construction rebar getting close to the surface. How old is your marcite pool surface? Hope this helps...
It’s old. It’s time to refinish

Nailed it, busted filter

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.