What is this? Is this algae growing on my brick?

gocubs418

May 3, 2016
Dallas/TX
All,

This white stuff is the biggest issue I have with my pool (besides the sand from the porous stone, annoying, never getting natural stone again, anyways I digress). How the heck do I get rid of this or stop this from happening? It sizzles when I put MA on it, however, the MA takes its toll on the grout work and I don't want to complete erode all of the grout.

What is going on with this stuff?

IMG_20180729_200731.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20180729_200738.jpg - Google Drive

IMG_20180729_200730.jpg - Google Drive

You guys are amazing. Thank you for all the help you provide the community.

Looks like efflorescence. Basically salt and minerals. You will see it on most brick and natural stone. Water gets in and dissolves some salt/minerals. The water moves to the surface of the brick then it evaporates leaving behind the residue. Does not damage the stone and usually stops over time. Can clean it off with a non metal brush. You will see this on most brick houses too.

Looks like efflorescence. Basically salt and minerals. You will see it on most brick and natural stone. Water gets in and dissolves some salt/minerals. The water moves to the surface of the brick then it evaporates leaving behind the residue. Does not damage the stone and usually stops over time. Can clean it off with a non metal brush. You will see this on most brick houses too.

Thanks.

Unfortunately, a brush does not work well at all. I even used pumice stone at one point (carefully). NOTHING. MA is the only thing that has worked but it does damage to the grout.

Is there a solution that works better than MA?

I am getting something very similar in my pool. I have a wall along the side, faced with large ceramic stiles that look like stone. I am getting similar white staining coming down from the grout lines. I have three sheer waterfalls, and this is happening both behind them and adjacent to them. Thus far I have been able to clean them with a pumice stone. I have not tried MA.

How old is that brickwork? My pool was built in April this year.

My theory so far is that it is either leaching from the grout, like an efflorescence, or it is calcium buildup from my pool water -- it's around 500 ppm CH. I just recently took over maintaining the levels from a pool service, and carefully watch the CSI. But when the pool service was managing the pool, I think they allowed scale to form because I do have some waterline scale visible when I drop the water level a few inches. I'm hoping that keep the CSI balanced will stop this from happening, but only time will tell.

Sometimes vinegar works. Most of the efflorescence cleaners that are sold are either MA, phosphoric acid, or the non acid type which if you look up the ingredients they state trade secret or are alcohol and urea which becomes ammonia in water.

I am getting something very similar in my pool. I have a wall along the side, faced with large ceramic stiles that look like stone. I am getting similar white staining coming down from the grout lines. I have three sheer waterfalls, and this is happening both behind them and adjacent to them. Thus far I have been able to clean them with a pumice stone. I have not tried MA.

How old is that brickwork? My pool was built in April this year.

My theory so far is that it is either leaching from the grout, like an efflorescence, or it is calcium buildup from my pool water -- it's around 500 ppm CH. I just recently took over maintaining the levels from a pool service, and carefully watch the CSI. But when the pool service was managing the pool, I think they allowed scale to form because I do have some waterline scale visible when I drop the water level a few inches. I'm hoping that keep the CSI balanced will stop this from happening, but only time will tell.

Built in August 2016. My CH levels are fine, I initially thought it was that. That is one of my theories as well, that there is water behind the brick work near the spa and the hot temps are pulling it through the grout work.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a photo of what I have.View attachment 84043

Very similiar, I have this near my spillway from my spa as well.

It is effloresence. Changing your csi or any other change to your pool water will have no affect because it is not your pool water forming it.

There is water behind your vertical surfaces and above the water level of your pool. Gravity then pushes this water out through the grout where it runs down the wall (or stays on the grout) and evaporates......leaving behind the minerals it has carried with it.

By far, muriatic is the best solution but, as said, there may be some slow damage to the grout.

I suppose in some cases you may be able to dig behind the stone wall and give the water an easier drainage path than through your wall but, in most cases, that may be impossible or incredibly labor intensive.

Using a plastic bristle "acid brush", applying the acid/water mixture to the surface and then rinsing immediately should minimize any grout damage but each situation will be a bit different.

I cannot prove this but I believe it gets it's normally white color from the thinset used to place the stone....but that's a guess

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.