What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear pool?

Ok, I am a noob pool owner. Been lurking here for awhile now.
I live in a rural location with crop fields, pine trees and other trees all around. I get this brownish silt daily and I have vacuumed to waste, super chlorinated for 5 days a few times and it starts to come back in a few hours. I think it is just in the air and deposited freely in the pool all the time. I had the pool installed last Oct. and opened it in May so it has only been open a month and a half. Hopefully this is a spring, early summer thing but out here I would not be surprised if the stuff doesn't fly around here all the time though.

Also having this problem right now in South Carolina. I am on day 3 of my first SLAM. I have a large Water Oak, 2 Palm Trees, Roses and Hibiscus around my pool. I first started two weeks ago vac to waste and it would surely enough be back the next day, I concluded algae because I could see a small amount of "green" on the base of my ladder. I limped through the holiday and decided to try SLAMing, I have noticed that it drastically decreased with every brushing since starting.

The last tread said in some cases it's a rare type of mustard algae. How do I get rid of this because this is the second swimming season I've dealt with this. No matter what I do it keep coming back if I vac it goes away until the filter comes back on. This is a headache. Is there a answer. Please help

Re: What is this brownish dust at the bottom of my clear pool?

The last tread said in some cases it's a rare type of mustard algae. How do I get rid of this because this is the second swimming season I've dealt with this. No matter what I do it keep coming back if I vac it goes away until the filter comes back on. This is a headache. Is there a answer. Please help​

I've also been dealing with this. I think it is mustard algae because it vanished after SLAMming. Sadly I didn't do an OCLT before starting the SLAM. Nevertheless after about three days SLAMing, it seemed to clear up and I passed OCLT. But several weeks later the "algae" came back. In my case I think there is some algae hiding in either the ladder, light, buddy seat or steps. The pool was a lagoon prior to a liner replacement and I think my cleaning of the ladder/lights etc. wasn't thorough enough. When I open up next season, I'm going to get crazy on the ladder/light. Like bleach dunking them. Good luck and please share anything you find out!

I live out in the country and really struggle with my dust streaks in the pool. I have a Pool Blaster Max that I use for routine vacuuming (so much easier than hooking into my filter). I had read about some folks using a diesel filter on their return line, so bought one. My husband refused to let me give it a try, so I instead cut it up and sewed it into a cone to insert into my filter on the Pool Blastet Max and it works amazing! Out of fairness- it still always returns within a few days because I think the gravel dust just eventually comes back- but it makes weekend swimming easy again.

Reactions: jasonwbaggett
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.