St. Louis/MO
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm taking over my pool maintenance this season for the 1st time after firing my dishonest, incompetent pool guy and am preparing for opening. Opened up the filter tank to find the most disgusting black cartridge filters (as the pool guy apparently never cleaned them, despite telling me he did several times, including right before closing last October), a bunch of sandy gunk in the bottom and this thing sticking up through the middle of the 2 filters. What is this and what does it do? It also was incredibly filthy, as you can see. I rinsed out the gunk as well as I could but not sure if this thing needs to be replaced.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3171.jpg
    IMG_3171.jpg
    753.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 45
Thanks. The manual says to "clean air bleed periodically" but doesn't explain how to do so. As I said above, I spray cleaned the air bleed filter but am I supposed to somehow remove the air bleed tube and clean it?

Also, would you advise that I replace the pressure gauge (see attached photo)? I don't know why it's showing 7-8 psi (shouldn't it be 0 with the system winterized?) and if the deterioration of the material inside the gauge matters given I can still read the measurements. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3175.jpg
    IMG_3175.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 9
If the gauge does not read 0 replace it.

Get a PSI gauge that reads 0-30. A pool will never get over 30.

Thanks. The manual says to "clean air bleed periodically" but doesn't explain how to do so. As I said above, I spray cleaned the air bleed filter but am I supposed to somehow remove the air bleed tube and clean it?
Try hosing it off or if you can put it under a running faucet. Or run water down the tube to flush the screen. Since the air bleed filter is a separate item from the air bleed tube - it must be 2 separate parts. It may screw together.

Gauge - any gauge that does not return to zero is bad. replace it. I use a liquid filled gauge as that reduces the vibration it may see.

You got good advice here. I'll add that keeping the bleeder clean enough to pass some air is important. It provides a path for air trapped at the top of the filter (e.g. after you've cracked the pump to clean the basket) to bleed out with the return water. If it's blocked, that pocket of air stays around, gets compressed by the pump, and stores a lot of energy. If something ever goes wrong with the lid latch, all that energy blows it off in something like an explosion. There are TFP threads citing news articles where filters blow with enough force to maim or kill. Be happy you fired that pool guy. NB: The bleeder screen gets about as dirty as the cartridge because it sits in unfiltered water.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get a regular dry pressure gauge. I've changed from the wet kind as I find after winter they're shot. I don't like to mess with everything so I leave them on in the winter. The dry gauges break less often for some reason. I don't worry about vibration at all.

Also that’s the wrong style gauge to use. The gauge you should install is one where the brass nipple is on the rear of the gauge, not the bottom. That way it reads easier AND, more importantly, water doesn’t get trapped inside the gauge.

I'm taking over my pool maintenance this season for the 1st time after firing my dishonest, incompetent pool guy and am preparing for opening. Opened up the filter tank to find the most disgusting black cartridge filters (as the pool guy apparently never cleaned them, despite telling me he did several times, including right before closing last October), a bunch of sandy gunk in the bottom and this thing sticking up through the middle of the 2 filters. What is this and what does it do? It also was incredibly filthy, as you can see. I rinsed out the gunk as well as I could but not sure if this thing needs to be replaced.

Thanks!
That's the air relief screen. It allows any air that gets into the filter to be pushed out and acts as a tiny filter or all that stuff would just return to the pool. Remove it and you have a 1/4" hole in the filter and its hard to imagine how much dirt that would let through, but it would. Just wash it or leave it alone, doesn't hurt anything like that. The tube does not have to be cleaned.

Also that’s the wrong style gauge to use. The gauge you should install is one where the brass nipple is on the rear of the gauge, not the bottom. That way it reads easier AND, more importantly, water doesn’t get trapped inside the gauge.
Thanks. Probably dumb question, but why does the center mount style keep water from getting trapped inside?

Thanks. Probably dumb question, but why does the center mount style keep water from getting trapped inside?

Depends on how you mount it but no filter fills all the way to the top so water can drain back. Even when running there will usually be a small air pocket at the top where the air relief and gauge is. When the system is off, the air pocket is usually bigger. This allows water up at the gauge to drain back if it is installed properly.

It doesn’t matter much operationally of there is air or water in contact with the gauge, but when it freezes it matters a lot.

Depends on how you mount it but no filter fills all the way to the top so water can drain back. Even when running there will usually be a small air pocket at the top where the air relief and gauge is. When the system is off, the air pocket is usually bigger. This allows water up at the gauge to drain back if it is installed properly.

It doesn’t matter much operationally of there is air or water in contact with the gauge, but when it freezes it matters a lot.
I see--thanks, Matt