What is the right chlorine level ?.?.?.?

hggbrew said:
I assume you now realize that it comes with the OTO and FAS-DPD but not the DPD test - correct?

OK, now I am starting to feel really STUPID..... Is that a seperate kit I need to get????? :?:
OTO is the chlorine tester that uses shades of yellow. DPD is the one that uses shades of pink. FAS-DPD is the best test of all. It uses powder and drops.

UnderWaterVanya said:
hggbrew said:
I assume you now realize that it comes with the OTO and FAS-DPD but not the DPD test - correct?

OK, now I am starting to feel really STUPID..... Is that a seperate kit I need to get????? :?:

Nope - not needed. FAS-DPD will do it all for you. And I may be wrong - but I thought the DPD test did not come with the TF100 or the K2006 - someone else can chime in if I'm misleading you. In any case, I never use it if it is included in the TF100.

The TF-100 does include DPD. FAS-DPD just adds the R-003 reagent to measure CC in addition to the TC measurement acquired by the DPD test.

DPD measures Total Chlorine only. FAS-DPD adds the ability to measure Combined Chlorine, the part where you add 5 drops of R-003. TC - CC = FC

Jose

Z06Boricua said:
Richard320 said:
OTO is the chlorine tester that uses shades of yellow. DPD is the one that uses shades of pink. FAS-DPD is the best test of all. It uses powder and drops.

Richard, doesn't the regular DPD test use powder and drops as well? Or am I way off base here? :)

That's not what I found at the Taylor website. The K1000 included in the TF100 is an OTO test. The K1001 is their DPD test. It uses different reagants and a color matching that is different from OTO. As I understand it those reagant are not all part of the TF100 and the color match block is not included to use with DPD test since OTO is included.

UnderWaterVanya said:
Z06Boricua said:
Richard320 said:

Richard, doesn't the regular DPD test use powder and drops as well? Or am I way off base here? :)

That's not what I found at the Taylor website. The K1000 included in the TF100 is an OTO test. The K1001 is their DPD test. It uses different reagants and a color matching that is different from OTO. As I understand it those reagant are not all part of the TF100 and the color match block is not included to use with DPD test since OTO is included.

The K-1000 is the OTO test, correct. The TF-100 kit though has a FAS-DPD test comprised of R-0871 powder with scoop, 2oz of R-0871 reagent, .75oz of R-003 reagent, and the "chlorine only" cylinder. The DPD test is part of this, which would be all of these items minus the R-003 reagent. There is no color match block required for DPD or FAS-DPD as you're only going from "barbie pink" to totally clear.

Jose

WOW.....

OK.....another question...... is the XL option is for testing the FAS-DPD only right.... or am I wrong...

Richard, doesn't the regular DPD test use powder and drops as well? Or am I way off base here?

From what I read it uses R-0001 (drops), R-0002 (drops) and R-0003 (drops)... no powder... (hope I'm not wrong) :goodjob:

hggbrew said:
WOW.....

OK.....another question...... is the XL option is for testing the FAS-DPD only right.... or am I wrong...

Richard, doesn't the regular DPD test use powder and drops as well? Or am I way off base here?

From what I read it uses R-0001 (drops), R-0002 (drops) and R-0003 (drops)... no powder... (hope I'm not wrong) :goodjob:

The XL option is for testing DPD. It includes extra R-0871 powder and reagent for when you are fighting algae and shocking. When your chlorine levels are at 20ppm+ and are testing every hour or so, you'll go through that stuff in the blink of an eye!

There is no R-0001 or R-0002 included with the TF-100. Also, the powder is actually R-0870, not R-0871, my mistake!

Jose

the TF100 comes with the FAS-DPD and the OTO tests.

The K2006 only comes with the FAS-DPD test.

The DPD test does not use powder and is not needed as it had similar limitations as the OTO test ... and you will have the Rolls Royce of chlorine tests in the FAS-DPD anyway.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

jblizzle said:
the TF100 comes with the FAS-DPD and the OTO tests.

The K2006 only comes with the FAS-DPD test.

The DPD test does not use powder and is not needed as it had similar limitations as the OTO test ... and you will have the Rolls Royce of chlorine tests in the FAS-DPD anyway.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Ahh so the DPD doesn't use powder, I was way off. Disregard everything I've said!

Jose

I'm not sure why anyone would use the DPD test - the OTO is maybe harder to read but the DPD bleaches out at high FC and leads to false readings of 0 chlorine. The OTO is great for telling you have some chlorine.

The FAS-DPD is much more accurate than either of these when you need the accuracy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Z06Boricua said:
Ahh so the DPD doesn't use powder, I was way off. Disregard everything I've said!
Jose
Just to be clear, the powder used in the FAS-DPD test is DPD powder, but the test is not called a DPD test because 1) you aren't accurately measuring out a precise amount of powder and 2) you don't have a comparator block for which to compare pink/red intensity (or a photometer to electronically measure the intensity). Real DPD tests either use specific concentrations and drops of DPD liquid (which is DPD powder mixed in water usually with some other chemicals to help stabilize it for a longer shelf life) or they use DPD powder "pillows" or tablets with specifically pre-measured amounts. With FAS-DPD, the precise amount of DPD powder used is not important since it's purpose is only to give you a color for a transition from pink/red to clear when you add FAS reagent and count the drops. You want enough for a decent transition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.