What is the point of CH?

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
Since our tubs are acrylic, why the need to harden our water with calcium? I understand plaster pools but it would seem to me, the lower the CH the better for our hot tubs.

So, my water going directly into my tub is 50. Would it be better for me to leave CH alone and balance everything else and then watch for foaming? And then make a slight increase in CH until it kills the foaming?

Reactions: Mdragger88
So, my water going directly into my tub is 50. Would it be better for me to leave CH alone and balance everything else and then watch for foaming? And then make a slight increase in CH until it kills the foaming?
Yrs, see how CH 50 works for you.

Every tub is different but I don’t have any foaming issues with ch of 50.
That reminds me, I have some ch ⬆️ in the shed that’s like 10yrs old (bought it before I knew better). Does it ruin?

For reference on the high end of things, the water in our area comes out of the tap around 300ppm. We've never bothered to filter it or dilute with softened water. Over a decade on hundreds of spas and thousands of refills, and zero issues with scale as long as the remainder of the chemistry is in check. Admittedly we don't even bother much with CSI on spas. Just the pools.

I wouldn't suggest aiming for this. But perhaps knowing you have some range, is helpful.

Every tub is different but I don’t have any foaming issues with ch of 50.
That reminds me, I have some ch ⬆️ in the shed that’s like 10yrs old (bought it before I knew better). Does it ruin?

As long as it is sealed it is fine. Calcium Chlorine will absorb moisture from the air. If you take a cup of calcium chloride and put it in a bowl, and leave it outside in a covered place, the bowl will fairly quickly become calcium chloride soup. That it why they use it for dust control on dirt roads. You spread it on the roads and it will absorb moisture from the air and keep the road damp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.