What is happening?

Jul 3, 2013
Eustis, Fl
So we left on a short visit to Jamaica and returned to a real ugly problem.

Yellow splotches on sides and bottom of pool that had never had a problem before.

Read the definition of "Dreaded Yellow Algae" and the description fits to a tee.

Yesterday I decided to slam it so I removed the light and drain covers. The light was clean to the sight but there were big globs of what appeared to be algae under the drain covers. I scrubbed the sides and bottom, vacuumed up all the debris and after testing the pool chemistry I added 4 gallons of bleach and turned on the pump.

When I tested my sanitizer level and it was 30+.

Ran pump all day and night and still think I can see some of remnants of yellow in the corners.

Tested again this morning after about 20 hour run with the SWG running and it shows 40+.

BTW, when the sun hit the pool this morning the yellow disappears.

Your take?

STX Steve

I am a little confused..........what was 40+ after the pump ran for 20 hours? I don't want to guess and give you bad info.

I will keep an eye out for you!

Kim:kim:

Chlorine. Measured with FAS/DPD Chlorine test.

Confusing? Yes. Only thing I can figure is that my SWG increased the levels to 42 this morning from 34 last night.

I have since turned the SWG off.

Just got back from gym and I can just barely see some yellow in the shade.

I plan on running at least one more day unless someone can come up with something different.

STX Steve

- - - Updated - - -

BTW I don't know how to change my signature but things have changed.

Now- 8,000 gal. fiberglassChanged it for you!

Thanks

Okay..........well things should be dying in your pool for sure with it that high! Good job turning the SWG off for now!

I would follow the link Jezza shared to the T to make sure it is GONE and gone for good!

Kim:kim:

Update.........

Looks like I have it whooped!

Water crystal clear, virtually no FC loss over night.

Still @ 23PPM this morning with out the SWG running.

People here say it was caused by the large amount of rain we have been getting?

Could be as my stabilizers and other chems were low after the pool overflowing a lot in the last month.

All values are in range now.

Thanks for the help.

STX Boy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.