What is 3EC?

Thanks again for eveything, I did notice all the unions in your set up that allowed for romoval, and the shut off valves, noticed one line leave the picture heading toward the camera where did this pipe go to or is it used for backwashing? Thanks for info on the length away from pool your pump is, so I guess if you have enough hp on your pump the distance should not be to bad. Glad to know the pumps are not to loud. I am going to do a search now of the different set ups out there so, when I put pool wall up I get the skimmer hole in the right place

Yes, that is for the backwash. I also set it up so I could just open the valve and dump water if my pool gets overfull from rain.

Mine is a lot closer than 4 ft :( I did not even read the directions as where it went was dictated by the area the former pool was on.

Kim:kim:

I am sure the distance away from, pump to pool is completely different from state to state and county to county. I am sure where I live it is a non existent rule, no permit needed no inspections no nothing, it was like, go dig your hole have a nice swim. Inspection, what inspection, we don't need no stinkin' inspections

My single speed 1HP pump is quite loud in my opinion, but with the 3 walls of 3/8ths inch plywood around it, I hardly notice much noise except when I stand in front of the opening. Used to be I could hear the pump in my house, now with the she'd I built for it, I can't hear it when in the pool. If you do something like this, just point the opening away from your pool and away from your deck area and you'd be good. Point it towards an annoying neighbor for a bit of smug satisfaction, lol.

About unions, you can never have too many unions! Makes it so much easier to do work on you equipment and clean stuff. Each of my valves have unions on both sides, plus both sides if SWGs and before pump and after filter.... I've got I think 10 unions on mine. Started with much less, but any time I added something like the SWG or the walls and ran the lines through the wall, I added a union so if I ever had to take it apart again, I wouldn't need to break the pipe again.

If you haven't already, order some if these hairnets on Amazon. Put one inside your skimmer's basket and it'll catch everything from pollen to leaves and insects. That way when it starts to get pretty full, just pull it out and throw away. 100 of them for $5 means you pay literally next to nothing for each one. Using them for one season and I've hardly noticed a decrease in the amount in the plastic bag.

Thanks for the heads up on the hair net things. I was confused by your last few sentences, though! I bought some filters for the skimmer basket. Is that what these hairnets do? Wrap the hair net over the basket in the return?

You are correct..........the hairnets take the place of the filters/socks you bought. They are oh so much cheaper and work just as well. Make sure the socks or hairnets sit INSIDE the basket. You do not want to take a chance of them being sucked down in to the pump.

Yup, they are darn near identical as skimmer socks, but rather than trying to clean them in a sink, you just toss them in the trash when they are full enough to start impending flow. Hairnets cost about $0.05 a piece, whereas skimmer socks cost several dollars a piece.

I put mine on by wrapping it... Can't think of a good way to phrase it, so I'll take a few pictures when I go change it out today.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think the hoses would be bad for anything. I hard plumbed mine for a couple reasons:

1. mainly that I felt the hoses would degrade faster and need to be replaced,
  2. I thought PVC looked more aesthetically pleasing than hoses,
  3. my then-future SWG would need to be supported, which hoses couldn't support, and
  4. most importantly, the hoses I used originally made a highly annoying humming sound as they vibrated from the water pressure.

I notice hear that all pump filter installs seem to have ridgid pipe and none that consist of the soft ribbed variety. Is the flexible tubing no good for these applications?

I mostly got PVC because I thought it looked better AND one day I want to get a stenner pump or some other automatic chlorine injection system and I figured it'd be perfect for that.

We switched to gray pvc pipe because of numerous flex hose fails and coming home to a geyser in our backyard several times. We were replacing at least one dark gray hose each year, and after several years it was getting expensive. The old brown hoses lasted "years" but the newer dark gray ones seem to only last a couple of years.
And since we decided to move the equipment from next to the pool to 20 feet away at the back of the yard, pvc buried underground was the best way to go. It is much easier to blow out the lines for the winter, than to disconnect 3-4 flex hoses and try to store them.

I hard plumbed due to fear of the dogs running into the hoses and pulling them off as they played around the pool. Make sure to use valves right under the skimmer and return so you can close them as needed to work on the equipment and such. Also make sure to use unions on either side of all equipment as well. This will allow your to disconnect as needed.

I was only thinking of the flex hoses because it seems pretty simple to clamp on a hose. As opposed to glue primer cutting dry fitting the whole nine yards. Another thing is people here are saying to go with 2 in. pipe but it seems everything coming out of pump and filter are all 1 1/2". Do I find these pipes and fittings at the hardware store? And the unions and elbows need to be pressure type instead of waste type. How many unions and how many shut off valves are needed in a basic pump filter application. I will go look at the different pics to see if I can see the complete picture of what is needed. Thanks guys

Clamps can and do come off. We had one come loose and there was not reason for it :( That is when we hard plumbed it.

Valves-under any where the water comes out of the pool so you can stop it's flow.

Unions-on either side of any and all equipment so you can work on or replace as needed without cutting the PVC

PVC-buy at Lowes or such. Schedule 40 is what you need as it can handle the pressure.

When you are setting everything up and planning on your cuts don't forget to remember you will push some of the pipe into the unions and valves so make sure to account for that with your planning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.