What if the pool is not covered during the winter?

primuspaul

Sep 3, 2018
NYC area
Our cover is irreparably damaged due to years of wear and tear and I'm just wondering what happens if the pool is not covered. We don't have kids and the property is fenced in.

I was looking at some guides regarding damage the pool can get. There were mentions of twigs and debris falling in, but that happens all summer anyway. The only thing I see happening is the sunlight causing algae bloom, so what am I looking as the potential consequences for this? Having to replace all the water when the summer comes?

Honestly, I think that is it. You will have stuff falling in and no way to clean it out because pumps and everything will be shut off. Actually, if you get it back up and running before the water temperature gets above whatever temp algae starts to grow, you shouldn’t even have to worry about that.

Actually, if you get it back up and running before the water temperature gets above whatever temp algae starts to grow, you shouldn’t even have to worry about that.

Algae typically doesn't grow if the water temp is below 60 degrees (F), which it probably will be most of the winter in NYC! You can always add algaecide and chlorine, as desired, to be on the safe side.

Algae typically doesn't grow if the water temp is below 60 degrees (F), which it probably will be most of the winter in NYC! You can always add algaecide and chlorine, as desired, to be on the safe side.
Maybe we'll do that this year if the new cover ends up being too much money. Worst comes to worst, we'll just drain the pool, clean it, and refill it. I think the water is only about $150 and the difference ends up being even less when you add in the fact that you don't need to do as much to treat new water than old water.

Only other thing I was worried about is debris clogging the bottom drain hole, making us unable to drain water through that. Any chance of that happening? Then again there's only a few branches of a pine tree overhanging the pool, nothing else. Should I be worried?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.