New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Although I am not a pool newbie, I am a SWG pool newbie. I haven't opened a pool in 3 years and by following the TFP way of taking care of my pool I really never had issues.

We decided to open the pool earlier than we normally do to hopefully have warmer water on Memorial Day weekend (doesn't look like it is working!:) ) and I made sure I had supplies for the opening. But with that said, I learned from this opening that may be helpful to some others.

I "knew" I needed to add CYA - nope, not sure what happened but it is higher when opening then when I tested last year. I have tested CYA in the past a lot but obviously I screwed up somewhere, maybe tested CYA too soon upon the pool being set up last year. I had some CYA left but bought a huge tub (14 lbs) from BJs which will probably last me close to the rest of my life with this pool.

I "knew" I was going to need a SLAM - nope, opened the pool to FC and very little CC. I did add a gallon of 12.5% liquid chlorine to raise the FC for good measures and again buying at BJs I have another 3 gallons that will probably deteriorate badly by the time I use the last of it ... and that's before turning on the SWG. So far the pool's been open about a week, and other than that first gallon I have used maybe 1/3 of a gallon. At least for now my FC isn't dropping, maybe in the heat of the summer but with the blue solar cover on and the pool getting a lot of full sun, FC is not dropping by much at this point.

I "knew" last year that I was going to have a very short (1 month) season but also "knew" that I had to open this year so I bought extra because of it. The truth is I didn't use much of my leftovers from last year so I still have a lot of stuff. I also used washing soda vs borax and baking soda so that was new to me as well but I still bought baking soda and have a few boxes sitting in the garage.

Basically, what I "knew" was all wrong. If you are opening the pool - scout out where you are planning on buying your stuff, maybe buy a little but wait to buy everything. I would have been better off buying my LC after opening and I would have only needed 1 gallon. If I waited to test my CYA I could have not bought more stabilizer and if I paid more attention to the things I bought I wouldn't have excess. The chlorine was a waste of money and will be less potent by the time I use it all, the stabilizer is going to last for years, I probably will never use all the baking soda.

Don't be me - think before you get all the stuff you think you "need"!

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.