What HEATER should I buy?

I'm not sure where to post this ?, but are there better solutions for adding chlorine to my pool other then this? Hmmm, not letting me upload a picture. I never seem to have enough chlorine even when this is turned up all the way and 5-7 3" tablets in there. Not sure why I can't upload a picture. Anyway, its a Hayward Chlorine Feeder for 3" tablets. It has a dial on it that goes from off to 7 I think. Very small 1/4" tube attached to the 2" PVC pipe off the pump (water inlet) and then another 1/4" tube attached to the 2" PVC pipe going back to the returns. Everytime I check the water there is no chlorine.

They are Trichlor tablets and we rarely recommend their use due to side effects that usually lead to having to replace water. Have you started reading Pool School yet?

Liquid chlorine / bleach is usually the best source of chlorine.

They are Trichlor tablets and we rarely recommend their use due to side effects that usually lead to having to replace water. Have you started reading Pool School yet?

Liquid chlorine / bleach is usually the best source of chlorine.

I just read "How to Chlorinate your pool". I've never heard in 10 years of owning a pool that you can use bleach as a sanitizer. Why is that? And not one pool center has ever suggested using liquid Chlorine even though every time I have my water tested they tell me there is no chlorine in it? If I started using bleach, how often would I have to add it? How do you add it? 27,000 gal. gunite/3M quartz plaster pool.

The amount of FC you need to maintain is a function of your CYA level: FC/CYA Chart

You then use PoolMath to calculate how much of each chemical you need to achieve a desired result.

Unfortunately most of the pool industry either does not understand the CYA/FC relationship or ignore it for the betterment of profit. As such, they see nothing wrong with telling you to keep using trichlor or dichlor when in fact it will make your problem worse (higher CYA) and thus lead to you buying more magic potions to try to fix it, eventually giving up and telling you to drain and start the cycle all over.

Some pool stores do sell liquid chlorine and often if they have refillable jugs of 12%, that is usually the best deal. Others will adamantly warn you against using liquid chlorine with non-sense about damage, or TDS levels, etc ... they either do not know any better or don't want to lose a customer.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

The amount of FC you need to maintain is a function of your CYA level: FC/CYA Chart

You then use PoolMath to calculate how much of each chemical you need to achieve a desired result.

Unfortunately most of the pool industry either does not understand the CYA/FC relationship or ignore it for the betterment of profit. As such, they see nothing wrong with telling you to keep using trichlor or dichlor when in fact it will make your problem worse (higher CYA) and thus lead to you buying more magic potions to try to fix it, eventually giving up and telling you to drain and start the cycle all over.

Some pool stores do sell liquid chlorine and often if they have refillable jugs of 12%, that is usually the best deal. Others will adamantly warn you against using liquid chlorine with non-sense about damage, or TDS levels, etc ... they either do not know any better or don't want to lose a customer.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

This is great! I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am to try something new this season. Thanks!

Welp, I installed the new Raypak yesterday. Fairly straight forward and was able to repair some other plumbing issues that had been bugging me for a while. Despite waking up to frost this morning the pool water temp rose from 63 degrees (10pm last night) to 74 degrees (5:30am this morning). I guess its working properly.

One concern about the Raypak though. (I hope I can post pictures) The top if this heater has louvers for heat/exhaust venting. Should I be concerned rain water and debris will obviously enter these louvers? My last heater Jandy/Laars had a smooth top cover other then just the exhaust vent. Rain water just ran off it. Should I be concerned about this??
heater front 2 (400x300).jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Am I only allowed so many Kb for pictures? I got a pop up stating I exceeded my limit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I sent an email to Raypak regarding the open louvers in the top cover. They said the heater is rated for outdoor use and that inside the louvered area are rain trays which direct the water away from the inside of the heater. Hope so LOL.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.