What happened to my liner??

Oh, one other question I thought of. Can you give me an idea of how much a liner install might cost? I've contacted one local company, but they haven't gotten back to me. I wouldn't mind having a professional install it, if it is less than about $300. Also, I just found a nice liner on Central Jersey Pools, and it says they use PenFab liners. Does anyone have any experience with them?

So to summarize my questions,
1) How much easier is it to do an overlap liner than a beaded liner?
2) If I decide an overlap is better, can I convert my pool from traditional beaded liner to an overlap liner?
3) Any guesses on how much a liner install for a 24' AGP might cost? No one has gotten back to me with an estimate yet.
4) Does anyone have any experience with PenFab liners or Central Jersey Pools?
Thanks for all your help, sorry for all the questions.

Hey John, I've got that exact color in my pool.
Seasonal World in Jackson NJ built it, and so far we've been pretty happy with them.

8625142990_be9deb5a8e_b.jpg

8666508938_0ef143a09e_b.jpg

8667427590_0fa18aa52a_b.jpg

JohnN said:
So to summarize my questions,
1) How much easier is it to do an overlap liner than a beaded liner?
2) If I decide an overlap is better, can I convert my pool from traditional beaded liner to an overlap liner?
3) Any guesses on how much a liner install for a 24' AGP might cost? No one has gotten back to me with an estimate yet.
4) Does anyone have any experience with PenFab liners or Central Jersey Pools?
Thanks for all your help, sorry for all the questions.
Can anyone help me here?

Well, I figure I'll give you an update now that this is a new pool season. The first few weeks during the winter, the pool was losing some water (I don't remember how much). As the winter progressed, the water level was staying the same. I opened the pool, and as far as I can tell, there hasn't been any significant water loss. As I was snorkeling and vacuuming today, I noticed one more pinhole, which I'll patch one of these days. Since there hasn't been any water loss lately, I guess it looks like the liner has survived another season. Oh, I wonder if I shouldn't have just said that?

If I could find a tan liner, I would so put it in my pool. I love the aqua color of the tan liners. I had the Antilles Dolphin print liner a few years ago with a tan river rock bottom and I loved that liner but I couldn't find one for my new pool.

Once the Portifino goes, I may just bite the bullet and see if I can have one custom made for my pool. The color is worth the price to me, even if it cost $1000! (not sure if that price is accurate it's just a wild guess on my part!)

Well, my liner is slowly becoming a tan liner. Thanks to the iron in my well water (I don't bother with sequestration, I just let the filter et it), the patches of orange/tan iron stains are starting to spread. The effect isn't quite as nice as with a genuine tan liner, though.

And anyway, going another year without replacing the liner and saving whatever it would cost is perfectly fine by me. Now that I said this liner is doing fine, I'll probably go out tomorrow to an empty pool with a big hole in the liner.

As an aside, I really wish I could update my signature to the correct gallons for my pool. Too bad the forum software keeps telling me it is too long. Must be because of all the links.

Well, things are getting to be just great. I've been inspecting the cove, and every once in a while a new pinhole or 3 will show up. I've been patching them, and water loss has been minimal. Now the bad part. I've been looking at some of the patches I put in last year, and the holes are starting to come back through the patches. I've been testing with some leftover phenol red, and sure enough, they are holes. Perfectly round pinholes. I don't see anything growing through them, so I don't think it is grass or anything like that. What I do notice is that the liner seems to get brittle or weaker in those spots, and it is usually pretty easy to make the hole bigger if I poke at it. I really would like to just say screw it, it's time for a new liner, but money doesn't exactly grow on trees. Anyone have an idea what getting a 24 ft liner installed would cost?

Hi, I can't help with the cost of the new liner question, but if you are getting pinholes recurring through the patch you may have an insect problem. If that is the case you will want to correct it before putting a new liner in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would spray the whole base with insecticide to be on the safe side. I hope you can get through the winter without losing all your water. A few buddies and yourself can do this in a day with a few Youtube vids under your belt. :goodjob:

I'm going to start measuring my water level daily again, because I think the pool is slowly losing water. Not enough to be a concern, but just enough to be noticeable. I wonder if spraying around the base of the pool now would help? At least the liner should make it to next season. If/when I do replace the liner, refilling the pool won't be fun. It'll probably take 3 or 4 days just to get if full with my well. Then, there's the chemicals. According to the Pool Calculator, I'll need about 42 pounds of Borax to get my pH up. Then, of course, I'm going to have to deal with the iron. I'll probably just let the filter get the iron out of the pool, like I do every time I top up.

I'm sure you'll be okay adding water daily right now but gosh John, what about winter and covering the pool and the water loss then? If you're losing water now, it will only get worse and what if you lose all your water and the cover takes the pool walls down because there is no more water inside due to the holes? That would be my biggest concern.

Well, apparently the leak isn't as bad as when I started this thread last year, but it has gotten worse. According to my log, I lost about 1" over the course of 3 days. I know where 3 holes are, the problem will just be patching them. We got almost an inch of rain today, and the temperature was 71.9. Thanks to that, my pool is now 82. Don't know when I'll get to throw on my snorkel if the weather keeps this up. Which it's supposed to. Maybe I'll just throw the cover on the pool and call it a season, and deal with it next year. No, I'm not serious. There's still hopefully plenty of time left in the season. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to re-patch the old patches.

Well, apparently the leak isn't as bad as when I started this thread last year, but it has gotten worse. According to my log, I lost about 1" over the course of 3 days. I know where 3 holes are, the problem will just be patching them. We got almost an inch of rain today, and the temperature was 71.9. Thanks to that, my pool is now 82. Don't know when I'll get to throw on my snorkel if the weather keeps this up. Which it's supposed to. Maybe I'll just throw the cover on the pool and call it a season, and deal with it next year. No, I'm not serious. There's still hopefully plenty of time left in the season. This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to re-patch the old patches.

JohnN, question for you.....Have followed your thread and was interested in all the patching you have done. I am losing water from my IG vinyl lined pool and don't have a clue what to look for when searching for a leak. I did notice a small wrinkle that has "grown" on my side wall and thought perhaps that may mean water is leaking behind that area? Have looked and looked, to no avail. I really don't know what to be looking for. Can you give me a clue as to what it could possibly look like?

I guess the best way to describe it is just a dark spot on the liner. The easiest way to tell if it is a hole or just a spot would be with some dye. I use phenol red from an old pH test, because it is what I have handy. You could use food coloring, also. So just look for something dark, and out of the ordinary, and see if the dye gets sucked into it. You can see the dye getting sucked in even in the smallest of pinholes.

I guess the best way to describe it is just a dark spot on the liner. The easiest way to tell if it is a hole or just a spot would be with some dye. I use phenol red from an old pH test, because it is what I have handy. You could use food coloring, also. So just look for something dark, and out of the ordinary, and see if the dye gets sucked into it. You can see the dye getting sucked in even in the smallest of pinholes.

Lordy, I can't imagine me covering my whole 18'X32' pool, especially with the different shades of blue of my liner. I was hoping for some magical, inspirational answer. Still clinging to the thought that the leak may be in the area above the new wrinkle in the side wall. Will make some kind of decision tomorrow.....may have to call in the big guns with their leak detecting machine ($$$$$). Thanks for your reply.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.