What grade stainless for replacement screws.

Maverick23

Gold Supporter
Jan 11, 2023
Charleston
I had to replace a couple of screws around a skimmer and ended up using stainless from Lowes. I am thinking that grade of stainless is not as "stainless" as it needs to be because my pool water is corroding them.

What grade do I need to use so they are like the rest of the screws?

What model skimmer are we discussing?

I don't know the grade and would just pay the pool tax and try something like these...

I had to replace a couple of screws around a skimmer and ended up using stainless from Lowes. I am thinking that grade of stainless is not as "stainless" as it needs to be because my pool water is corroding them.

What grade do I need to use so they are like the rest of the screws?
We always found 316 and 316L to perform well in salt water for the boat. Others work well also like aluminum and/or silicon bronze but they don't always look nice or lack strength. Also, get your fasteners from a reputable fastener company. Most SS I've found at big box stores were 304. Nowhere near good for ocean/or pools. Also, most grades have a range of components like molybdenum, and nickel. So go with a brand or source that knows the difference and can get you the right manufacturer. A great source (albeit expensive) is a West Marine or local Fastenal store. ***Edit Or the original supplier brand as Allen suggests - can't go wrong with that***

I hope this helps.
Chris

We always found 316 and 316L to perform well in salt water for the boat. Others work well also like aluminum and/or silicon bronze but they don't always look nice or lack strength. Also, get your fasteners from a reputable fastener company. Most SS I've found at big box stores were 304. Nowhere near good for ocean/or pools. Also, most grades have a range of components like molybdenum, and nickel. So go with a brand or source that knows the difference and can get you the right manufacturer. A great source (albeit expensive) is a West Marine or local Fastenal store.

I hope this helps.
Chris
I probably ended up with 304. I will look around for 316 or just buy a replacement kit.

Reactions: setsailsoon