What do you to maintain correct levels?

The best prices for liquid chlorine that I find for you as at Menards .... Probably the closest one would be in Holland, OH.

I think they have the strong stuff for $1.99/gal ... Sure wish I had one of their stores near me.

Other than that, I have heard that Walmart has stepped their price on the 10% stuff back to $2.50... the wife is going to confirm/debunk that for me later this afternoon.

If you filter hadn't been deep cleaned in 8 years I'd say you're overdue. I added that to my yearly startup procedure this year.

Add enough CYA to go to 20. You might have some already from the vacation tabs. Get a little more chlorine in today, around 3. Once the CYA is dissolved, use the chart.

How does the water look?

Water is cloudy. How do you add CYA? I also don't understand adding 3 on the chlorine.... do you mean 3ppm? If so I don't know how much to add to get that...this is my first experience or should I say lack of!

- - - Updated - - -

We also need to know your PH.
It's one of the 1st things to adjust.

Sorry!! The sad part is I had it written down just didn't put it in my post....

PH 7.2

And thank you members that recommended the auto stirrer!

If so I don't know how much to add to get that

Head to the PoolMath tab at the top of the page, go there and add in the details for your pool. You'll need to scroll down near the bottom to locate the "Troublefreepool.com" settings, choose Vinyl liner (or the kind you have), and Bleach as you method of chlorine.

Now, back at the top, add the size in gallons of your pool, and fill in the left column of each setting with your test results. The right column is your target, and when you mouse over the instructions that pop up to the right of each section, it will tell you.

So put in your FC (0.5) and your target, in this case 3. Then, you'll see it suggests adding so much amount of bleach. That's how to know.

The best prices for liquid chlorine that I find for you as at Menards .... Probably the closest one would be in Holland, OH.

I think they have the strong stuff for $1.99/gal ... Sure wish I had one of their stores near me.

Other than that, I have heard that Walmart has stepped their price on the 10% stuff back to $2.50... the wife is going to confirm/debunk that for me later this afternoon.

Thank you so much for the reply and taking the time to look that up for me. Once I unload the trailer I am headed straight there!

You add CYA by putting it in a sock and either hanging it in front of a return or if you want you can walk around with it in the pool and squeeze and swirl it around.

CYA is at Wal-Mart too if you are headed that way.

I'm a little confused when using the pool calculator unless it's right, do I really need to replace 55% of my pool water? Also with pool calculator, I don't have a "NOW" column.... I have Goal: NOT SETUP.......I assume NOT SETUP is my "NOW"??? Going to try and search this forum for answer?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Think I have a grip on things now! Off to Toledo to get the recommended chemicals and cross my fingers. If this calculator thing really works I will be very upset with myself for waiting this long and fighting the pool for the past 8 years! Seems to easy!

In PoolMath, go to the last yellow block - titled "Suggested Goal Levels" - and set for your pool as follows:

Use suggested goal levels from: TroubleFreePool.com
Primary source of chlorine: Bleach Pool surface: Vinyl

Then scroll to the top and put your pool volume in gallons just to the right of "Size". You can also set up concentrations for the chemicals you will be using, specifically under FC and pH.

In PoolMath, go to the last yellow block - titled "Suggested Goal Levels" - and set for your pool as follows:

Use suggested goal levels from: TroubleFreePool.com
Primary source of chlorine: Bleach Pool surface: Vinyl

Then scroll to the top and put your pool volume in gallons just to the right of "Size". You can also set up concentrations for the chemicals you will be using, specifically under FC and pH.

Completed!!! Thank you! I was so worried about the top half of the calculator I didn't get down far enough to read the bottom. I since have taken a couple deep breaths and feeling confident!

Just stay :calm: - it's only pool water!

Any questions you have, just ask. Someone will be along to help you out. Don't get too worried if you don't get an immediate reply - some of us do try to sleep every once in a while. :shock:

Completed!!! Thank you! I was so worried about the top half of the calculator I didn't get down far enough to read the bottom. I since have taken a couple deep breaths and feeling confident!

Did Menards have the chlorine you went for?

My boys had baseball practice in a different town so I ended up going to Walmart. Found everything I needed but I did find one thing with chlorine... I ended up buying the Great Value bleach but I did see they had pool chlorine on sale for $2.50/gallon and said 10% chlorine but I didn't buy it because I am a newb and didn't want to stray from the original directions? Just added chemicals but I did go a little light on Borax and Stabilizer. Do I do another complete check tomorrow? I will hopefully go to Menards tomorrow since my daughter is playing softball in Toledo so will give a price check.

You should have got the 10% at Wally World, but it is all good... at Menards, they have 12.5%... even better... and CHEAPER!
The higher the concentration of chlorine, the less you have to put in at one time... all you have to do is adjust the poolmath calculator and tell it what % your bleach (liquid chlorine) is.

Here, we are ALL about saving you $$$, we are not the pool store trying to get you to spend more than is really needed.

Ronsplc....Thank you!!!!! I scored big time, $1.99/gallon and it was their 11% rebate weekend! Only bought 16 gallons but that should get me through the season I hope....plus says it's 12.5%!

- - - Updated - - -

Woke up this morning and I could barely see the center drain which is good since I haven't seen it all year. My PH went up to 7.5 and FC was at 1 so I added a gallon but still better than it was. I will check before bed and add more if needed. Not sure frequency on doing full check but I am thinking every other day till numbers get where they need to be?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.