tfetner

Jul 29, 2021
Warrior, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are currently using a large sand filter but have been having a lot of algae issues and sadly (before coming here) we used a floc about a week ago that never worked. In our defense we had done this before when we were dealing with bad algae and it worked perfectly but NOT this time, it never make everything sink to the bottom so we had no choice (other than draining the pool) than to put a skimmer sock over the skimmer basket and run the pump so we could add more chlorine. We have cleaned the sand in the filter and pray that it works. We are going to have some disappointed little ones if we can get this thing swimmable by Saturday.

I've already ordered my test kit with SLAM add on and been advised by members of what to do as far as trying to get the water to clear up but I noticed somewhere that someone mentioned a DE pool filter and wanted to know what you all thought about those. We have a round above ground 33 ft (across) pool with a 52 inch pool wall. Although I have had a few estimations of how many gallons are in our pool, the median of those estimates is around 23000-24000 gallons. If you all think its a good move please tell me what size would be recommended for our pool.

Thanks!
Tonya

I have a DE filter and enjoy it, but if and when I need to change it I will probably go with a large (400sq ft) cartridge filter. They seem to be an easier maintenance and while you could argue that a DE filters smaller particles, I am not sure it would matter that much.

Reactions: reggiehammond
An algae outbreak is not a filtering problem, it’s a lack of enough free chlorine to keep the pool sanitized and algae free. With enough FC/CYA ratio the sand filter can filter just fine. Put your hard earned money in your pocket and out of the pool stores pocket selling you pool potions that make matters worse.

An AGP does not need a DE filter.

If you want a different type of filter get a large cartridge filter. With a cartridge filter you can easily replace the cartridge if your filter medium gets messed up.

I went from a large sand filter to a large cartridge filter (both show in my signature).
For me, DE is too much of a hassle and mess.

DE seems like a mess to deal with. Like said above, sand filter is fine, you just need to chlorinate properly. Sand is ok if you can afford the water usage when backwashing, but cartridge filter would be a better option IMO.

Reactions: oldprophet
I have a Quad DE 60, it does a really nice job. The construction is fairly robust, but it's very easy to break down and clean.
I'd probably just get a large cartridge filter, but it wouldn't be a huge change. Break down and cleaning would be the same, I just wouldn't have to walk back to the pool to mix the DE and pour into skimmer (2 minute process.)

DE seems like a mess to deal with. Like said above, sand filter is fine, you just need to chlorinate properly. Sand is ok if you can afford the water usage when backwashing, but cartridge filter would be a better option IMO.
Thanks. I think we may have screwed up our sand with that floc that never fell to the bottom.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a DE filter and replaced it with a cartridge filter. I liked many things about DE but I like the ease of cartridges much more. I also can't tell a bit of difference in water clarity.

Save your money. New sand would cost a whole lot less than a whole new filter.
Follow the SLAM process. Keep the chlorine up as frequently as you can, backwash when the pressure rises 25% and trust it. It will work and the pool will clear. Sand filters take the longest but they do work well.

You can swim with chlorine up to SLAM level even if the water isn't perfectly clear yet. Just make sure you can see the bottom of the pool for safety before allowing anyone in.

Reactions: tfetner and Bperry
An algae outbreak is not a filtering problem, it’s a lack of enough free chlorine to keep the pool sanitized and algae free. With enough FC/CYA ratio the sand filter can filter just fine.

Quoting this just to drive the point home. I switched from a sand filter to DE for similar reasons to you, but then just found out how quickly a DE filter clogs when you have an algae problem due to not enough chlorine.

Replace your sand and get your chemistry right and you'll be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.