Caro325

Feb 10, 2023
Frisco, texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am new future pool owner (I purchase a inground pool kit already but it hasn't been installed yet), and was trying to figure out the automation thing....... I purchased an inground steel wall vinyl liner pool with a 1.65 HP Hayward Variable Speed MaxFlo XE Pump, a hayward In-line Auto Chlorinator, a Hayward Top Mount Sand Filter, a Raypak 6450 Titanium Heat Exchanger 117K BTU Digital Heater Pump, and 1 light....... what equipment do I need to automate it??? i figured out that I need a smart hub (but prices vary so much that I don't know what to get), but I don't know what else I need........... any advise???

Skip the Hayward In-line Auto Chlorinator and get the Hayward OmniPL with the TCELL940 SWG cell.

Skip the Hayward In-line Auto Chlorinator and get the Hayward OmniPL with the TCELL940 SWG cell.

+100. The inline chlorinator uses pucks. Pucks contain CYA. Using pucks to chlorinate adds CYA...at some point your CYA will be so high that you will not be able to keep a high enough FC to sanitize the water. You then have to remove CYA. The only way to remove CYA is to replace water. It can be done, but it is a pain. Go with the SWCG.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I am under the impression that saltwater filters are not recommended for steel wall pools…..
If the liner is kept in good condition no pool water should ever touch the steel walls of a pool.

All pool waters have salt in it since every methods of chlorination - tablets or liquid chorine - adds salt when you add the product to the pool. And Muriatic Acid adds salt to your pool. The salt will accumulate in your pool water, especially in Texas where you have no reason to drain the pool periodically. Within a year or two you can have as much salt in your pool as a SWG system requires or even more.

So there is no getting away from salt in your pool. You might as well get the advantages of a SWG and get rid of the dealing with CYA accumulation or lugging liquid chlorine jugs.

I am under the impression that saltwater chlorine generators are not recommended for steel wall pools…..
Not true. A salt water pool is a chlorine pool, and a chlorine pool is a saltwater pool. No difference. When you use liquid chlorine, it adds salt. After a year, my salt content was 1500ppm. After 2-3 years, liquid chlorine usage, you will be 3000-4000ppm.

If you have an in-ground vinyl liner pool, with steel walls, it won't matter.

Reactions: proavia
Not true. A salt water pool is a chlorine pool, and a chlorine pool is a saltwater pool. No difference. When you use liquid chlorine, it adds salt. After a year, my salt content was 1500ppm. After 2-3 years, liquid chlorine usage, you will be 3000-4000ppm.

If you have an in-ground vinyl liner pool, with steel walls, it won't matter.
I will check it out. But then, how do I do the automation??? (Automating when the pump runs, the heat pump, the lights, etc)….

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.