What do all my pipes do?

nicktf

Aug 9, 2022
Houston, TX
So, in my last thread, I've determined I need to replace my single speed 2.2HP pump unless I want to bankrupt myself via high bills. I have a Tristar-VS 1.65HP on order, and I'm happy to fit it myself. Before I do that though, can someone check my assumptions as to where all the pipes go as shown in the first picture?

Please bear in mind that I've only had the pool for a couple of weeks, and it's all new to me.

1. This valve is a bit of a mystery. If I activate it, it seems to route a bunch of debris-filled water into the spa, and drain the impeller chamber...
2. ...so based on the above, this goes to the spa. Why would I do that? Cleaning?
3. Returns from the Pool drains?
4. Returns from the skimmers? Why are the valves (7 & 8) in a different position? Can I play with them and see what stops working?*
5. Hot water return to the spa
6. Hot water returns to the pool

I also don't have a lot of room to install a check valve as shown in the second picture. I was thinking of making a cut where the red dotted line was and using a union over the fitting and the remains of the older pipe, and going straight to the new pump, then installing two check valves where the green X's are in picture one. Is that a stupid idea?

*I haven't figured out where to attach a vaccuum/suction device as yet, so it may be something to do with that?

Attachments

• Pipes.jpg
    Pipes.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 29
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 27
1. Pool/Spa suction valve
2. Spa suction line
3. Skimmer(s?), main drain, cleaning port? 7, 8 adjusting flow between previous
4. Skimmer, main drain, cleaning port? 7, 8 adjusting flow between previous
5. Spa return
Valve at 5, 6. Pool/spa return valve
May be a port in the side of the pool wall that is attached to 3, 4, or pipe going into valve 8
That is a check valve in the second picture, right in front of the pump.
No need for check valves at the green Xs.
Spa stuff, most likely a separate pump for the jets/water feature.
If the way everything is set in the pictures is how you got the pool, keep it as a reference so to know how to put everything back. Then, move the valves and see what happens. Since every pool is a custom pool, that is the best way to learn how it all works. Best to do this with the pump off, then turn it on and see the results.
Your main pump is a Hayward TriStar, not a Century, which is a motor manufacturer. Your second pump is a Hayward Super 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: guinness
Thanks! I didn't express myself very well about the check value - I was reading about them and how it wasn't idea to situate it as close to the pump for priming reasons. To be fair, it's working just fine where it is, so I'll leave well alone. I'm going to do some research on the Spa Suction side of things - seems like I would use this to get the Spa hotter than the pool quickly?

As for the heater, unfortunately, there's no data plate, it's described as Hayward 400,000 BTU on an old invoice I found in the house, so I guess it's a Hayward Universal H-series. Either way, it's so Dang hot here, I haven't even thought about the heater yet. It does seem ridiculously large for an 8000 gallon pool, though.

Reactions: guinness
I'm going to do some research on the Spa Suction side of things - seems like I would use this to get the Spa hotter than the pool quickly?

Thanks for updating your signature, now we have a clearer picture of your setup. Since you have actuators on your intake and return valves your automation will move those depending on whether you're in pool or spa mode. So the heater will only heat one body of water accordingly.

Reactions: nicktf
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.