What did you do to your pool today?

I want to be able to leave the pool alone for more days in a row (i.e. a week!), so I started a test to see how long I can go between MA additions. I had let my pH rise to a hair above 8, and today added 3 cups (750 ml) - the most I've ever added - which should take it down to around 7.4 or a little less for tomorrow morning's test. Wish me luck on the creep up :) and help me forget that teeny weeny bits of plaster may or may not be corroding away. If I can't make it work, there may be dichlor or trichlor in my future :ncool:.

Oh yeh, I also got a flat tire (tyre) and rewarded myself with a swim and 2 beers.

Scooped some leaves. Checked FC. Stuck hand in up to elbow!! Water is around 45. Have left everything open, running as usual. Had one day so far where the water had a super thin skim of ice on it. It was barley there and disappeared as soon as the pump kicked on.

I want to be able to leave the pool alone for more days in a row (i.e. a week!), so I started a test to see how long I can go between MA additions. I had let my pH rise to a hair above 8, and today added 3 cups (750 ml) - the most I've ever added - which should take it down to around 7.4 or a little less for tomorrow morning's test. Wish me luck on the creep up :) and help me forget that teeny weeny bits of plaster may or may not be corroding away. If I can't make it work, there may be dichlor or trichlor in my future :ncool:.

Oh yeh, I also got a flat tire (tyre) and rewarded myself with a swim and 2 beers.

Nice! :cheers:

Lower your TA to slow the PH creep. Start by lowering it to 80 and see if PH stabilizes. If not continue on down 5ish until it does. It should stabilize by 60. Here's how, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

I dreamt about swimming in my icy pool last night.

- - - Updated - - -

Installed 50 by hand? :shock:

Aww what the heck....string out 50 more sometime soon and it'll give ya something else to get you through winter. :joker:

Yep, they were the candelabra base 5 watt globes. I ordered 2 strings of 25', and the bulbs arrived in little boxes, packed with the cord. First string over half of them weren't tight enough, so I had to go back and retighten them. $15. Per string. But they were very bright and pretty, so I am excited to try them outside. Too bad I have about 3 more months to wait, ha ha.

Its been windy here the last couple of days and it blew dead banana tree leaves into the water. They almost clogged up my skimmer.
so I scooped them and some other leaves out, emptied skimmer and pump baskets. After that, I sat down on the couch and was lazy.

When do you get Banannas Dave? I'm surprised they don't freeze and die that far North, but I know nothing about those.

Yesterday, I brushed a bunch of dirt from the corners and put the fine carts in the Robot for a go. It will need another after the winds we got last week. I did notice a mouse chewed a hole in one of my closure flaps on the filter cartridge, so I'll be ordering some of those soon. Planned on getting a duplicate set of carts and screens, so I may just get it all this time around.

Water is still 46, but we're on the downhill side of winter now...:bounce:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I checked for buckles and any heaving the other day... Nothing. Pool is fine.

I noted my pool is now full again. I drained it about 8" in the fall and didn't cover it. Guess I saved myself the hassle of dragging out the hose in the spring. Or rather, Mother Nature did. Oddly enough, most of that was rain. We've only gotten about 7" of snow total this year. Though we are supposed to get 3-5" tonight.

We don't "close" our pool. I just maintain the chlorine and check the ph over the winter. A week in the 70's inspired me to do a full round of testing. Filled the CYA tube to the top and could still see the dot. I had a pound of stabilizer on hand so a couple days ago I put it in a sock and hung it in front of a return jet. Today I tested the Calcium Hardness which was also way low (170). I broadcast 15 lbs. of Calcium Chloride (Pellets of Fire) I also had on hand. Our fill water is extremely low in calcium. It leaches the calcium out of our stone work when I don't make sure the CH levels are good. I'm going to wait a week and get the CYA level checked at our local pool store (gasp). That is the one test I never feel confident in doing.

With my last pool the pool store told me to just lower my water "about an inch or so" and it would be good! Knowing what I know now I should have lowered my pool to almost empty as the CYA was so high due to me doing what they told them to do! SO please do not let them test it or trust their test. It might cost you in more ways than one. :( It cost us our first pool.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support