What current Hayward pumps work with their ProLogic controller?

wdavis111

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 19, 2011
Richmond, TX
Pool Size
In 2011, we had our pool built and used the 1.5 HP Hayward SP32152EE variable speed pump, and their ProLogic PL-PS-8 controller. The pump has now stopped working and that pump is no longer sold, and Hayward's website says the replacement is their 2.2 HP SP3215X20XE. Our installer tells me that this new pump is NOT compatible with the older ProLogic system we have, and wants to install their TriStar VS900 instead.
Can anyone tell me what variable speed Hayward pumps that are currently available ARE INDEED compatible with their old ProLogic system? and why their recommended replacemnt (SP3215X20XE) is not?!?!?!

Controlling the XE pump with a Pool Automation Control

The XE line of pumps can be controlled by automation controls using an ON/OFF output. This operation uses the automation control’s high voltage relay to apply/remove power to the pump. If your pool automation control features a schedule function for the relay output, the pump can be turned on and off daily at preset times and be allowed to run for a fixed amount of time. Because there is no means of communication to the XE pumps, the automation control will not be able to offer remote programming or speed control, it will only turn the pump on and off to run the programmed daily schedule.

In 2011, we had our pool built and used the 1.5 HP Hayward SP32152EE variable speed pump, and their ProLogic PL-PS-8 controller. The pump has now stopped working and that pump is no longer sold, and Hayward's website says the replacement is their 2.2 HP SP3215X20XE. Our installer tells me that this new pump is NOT compatible with the older ProLogic system we have, and wants to install their TriStar VS900 instead.
Can anyone tell me what variable speed Hayward pumps that are currently available ARE INDEED compatible with their old ProLogic system? and why their recommended replacemnt (SP3215X20XE) is not?!?!?!
If you want to control speeds you need the VS900. If you just want to turn the pump on and off and allow its internal programming to work, use the SP3215X20XE.

If you want to control speeds you need the VS900. If you just want to turn the pump on and off and allow its internal programming to work, use the SP3215X20XE.
Thanks for the super-fast response. All the ProLogic controller does right now is let me automate turning on 'high speed' for a couple of hours a day, and then 'low speed' for a couple of hours a day... are you saying that it should work the exact same for the new SP3215X20XE? my installer says he spoke directly to Hayward who told him it won't work with ProLogic, and I'd have to pony up the $$$ for the VS900.

Thanks for the super-fast response. All the ProLogic controller does right now is let me automate turning on 'high speed' for a couple of hours a day, and then 'low speed' for a couple of hours a day... are you saying that it should work the exact same for the new SP3215X20XE? my installer says he spoke directly to Hayward who told him it won't work with ProLogic, and I'd have to pony up the $$$ for the VS900.
Your existing pump is a 2-speed, not a variable speed pump, so the ProLogic was set up in its configuration menu to control that by using two separate relays.
As JamesW points out, the ProLogic can turn the XE motor on and off with a single relay (#1 relay is always the pump relay). The internal programming in the motor will then take over. You set the speeds and duration in the pump itself, the ProLogic will have no control over those with that XE pump, but it will work with the Hayward, or any other brand of automation, by being turned on and off, much like a single-speed pump. It all depends on how much control you want over speeds, etc.
The owner's manual says that the ProLogic can control up to 6 different speeds on a Hayward VSP like the VS900. Takes a bit of programming. If your installer doesn't think the XE will work with your system, he likely won't know how to do that programming.
You will never need that kind of control if you have been happy with the 2-speed pump up to now. The XE gets installed (plumbed in), wired to the #1 relay, ProLogic is re-set to control a single-speed pump (preferably with the pump relay set to be "on" for at least 16 hours), the internal programming of the XE pump is chosen (there are various options to choose from), and you are good. Its not that hard to do
If you want the XE and your current installer is hesitant, either insist on it, or find a new guy. Your pool, your money, your choice.

In 2011, we had our pool built and used the 1.5 HP Hayward SP32152EE variable speed pump, and their ProLogic PL-PS-8 controller. The pump has now stopped working and that pump is no longer sold, and Hayward's website says the replacement is their 2.2 HP . Our installer tells me that this new pump is NOT compatible with the older ProLogic system we have, and wants to install their TriStar VS900 instead.
That is actually a two speed motor and not a variable speed motor. Since you live in TX, you could just replace the motor.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.