What capacitor

BeckyT

Bronze Supporter
May 31, 2018
Salem, Ar
I’m pretty sure I need a new run capacitor for my pool. I have a 5 year old jandy pump. It would only hum when I turned it on. When I crank the ??? (Don’t know what that thing is called) it starts running. Runs fine. Great pressure.

Pool store said get a new pump. But I looked online and I think we can just replace the capacitor. But don’t know what size to get.

It is a jandy flopro 1.5 hp.

Does anyone know what size ?

Attachments

• IMG_2972.jpeg
    IMG_2972.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2971.jpeg
    IMG_2971.jpeg
    630.1 KB · Views: 8
Remove the screws on the side of the hump on the pump which will expose the capacitor.

Be careful when handling a capacitor. It can hold a voltage charge for a long time and you can be shocked by it. To drain all the power out of a capacitor you can touch both prongs together with the shaft of an insulated screwdriver. You may get a spark or pop from the current outflow.

Post a pic of the printing on the capacitor. Those are the specs for the replacement.

Some of the field experts here may know off the top of their head. For me, I'd just take the cover off that motor "hump" and take a pic of it to be sure and shop online. Might as well remove the rear motor cover and do the same for that one just in case. Each one should be around $15 bucks or so +/- a couple bucks either way.

Thank you! So…I have been googling this particular motor, a centurion and it says you have to replace the entire motor. Now trying to find a replacement. Does this seem correct? Anyone else have this particular motor?

Thank you! So…I have been googling this particular motor, a centurion and it says you have to replace the entire motor. Now trying to find a replacement. Does this seem correct? Anyone else have this particular motor?

Why?

Look at the capacitor in the hump.

Post a pic of the motor data plate.

Is this the motor data plate?

Yup.

Thank you! So…I have been googling this particular motor, a centurion and it says you have to replace the entire motor.
That's pretty weird. Can you provide the source of this info? You describe classic bad capacitor behavior. If the rest of the motor is okay, hard to see why replacing the cap is wrong. It will cost ~$10. As others said, if you remove the "bump" cover and take a picture we can help you find the right replacement. Even if it doesn't work, the cost is so small it seems worth a try.

That's pretty weird. Can you provide the source of this info? You describe classic bad capacitor behavior. If the rest of the motor is okay, hard to see why replacing the cap is wrong. It will cost ~$10. As others said, if you remove the "bump" cover and take a picture we can help you find the right replacement. Even if it doesn't work, the cost is so small it seems worth a try.
I’ll try and do this after work today when my husband is home. Thanks so much though for the suggestions. The pump has a slight hot smell. And kicked off last night after about an hour. So my husband is wondering if the whole motor should be replaced anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support