What are these?

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
I am replacing the coping and pavers on my inground pool. We have a bench in the shallow end with two returns that have these white hoses with some type of cap sticking out above them. See pics below b/c I clearly have no idea to accurately describe them lol. We are trying to decide what to do with them before the new coping goes in. The new coping is thinner than the old one so it will stick out more if we leave them in. At the pump in my pic below, there is a pipe labeled "spa return" that feeds those two jets independently in case you wanted to get extra strong flow and not have the rest of the pool's returns on, but I cannot figure out what function they serve and what would happen if we tried to remove them. The caps look like they should twist off but I haven't tried that yet. I was hoping someone on here has some insight. My best guess is they are some type of fountain? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Spa 1.jpg
    Spa 1.jpg
    613 KB · Views: 12
  • Spa 2.jpg
    Spa 2.jpg
    1,019.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Spa 3.jpg
    Spa 3.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 12
They are air inlets to make bubbles in those returns. The caps should loosen to let air in.

Then it is plugged. Use water down it to see if you can flush it out. Or air.

If you do not want the air, plug them off and bury them under your coping.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.