What are some other sites (philosophically similar to TFP but on other topics) you like? ie: lawn or basic home improvement

keatz85

Bronze Supporter
Oct 21, 2017
Jacksonville, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I love this site and often find myself thinking that I wish there was something like TFP for lawn and basic home improvement mainly, but really anything - hobbies, travel, finance/insurance, health, electronics, auto, gardening, etc. Any recommendations?

There are several grilling/smoking sites that I enjoy. AmazingRibs.com has an active membership, but the forum requires an annual fee - $35, I think. Access to their library of reviews, recipes, techniques, etc. is free. Kamadoguru.com is primarily focused on ceramic cookers like Big Green Egg and Kamado Joe, but activity is pretty light and primarily the same members contributing.

Reactions: keatz85
If you’re into RVing, this is another good site, especially if researching a particular rig. I was about to buy a smallish Class A, but discovered a widely reported problem with the Ford chassis through the forum. Might have saved me some serious headaches. Forum topics are wide-ranging.

• Love
A couple.
HVAC talk, (HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion) which allowed me to research info on a variety of HVAC items. A big expense when buying so learning from there was big and helped me when I replaced my whole HVAC and then again when I added a split system, when I added a heat pump controller, zoning system, etc.
Car forums:
Audi (Audiworld.com & audizine.com)
Mercedes (MBWorld.org Forums), (Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums) & (Mercedes-Benz Forum)
Timeshare info (Almost 30 year old forum that helps people who may have just bought (rescind advice) or people who bought resale and how to maximize it) Tugbbs.com

I`m a vehicle care detail nut and have been since I was 12 years old. autogeek.net is great site for all your vehicle care needs and autogeekonline.net is an awesome forum to learn and get help from just like TFP. The satisfaction of wash prep. claybaring, polishing swirls and imperfections in clear coat, and finishing waxing.

Attachments

• 05 Stang.JPG
    05 Stang.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 8
  • VW CC.JPG
    VW CC.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 8
Early Retirement/investing/money management
I'm into FIRE. Heard MMM on Tim Ferris and then discovered several other podcasters and/or bloggers. Pretty cool to see someone bring it up. Wasn't familiar with this site, looks pretty good, going into detail on the important topics.

Reactions: PoolStored

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you’re into RVing, this is another good site, especially if researching a particular rig. I was about to buy a smallish Class A, but discovered a widely reported problem with the Ford chassis through the forum. Might have saved me some serious headaches. Forum topics are wide-ranging.

I will be into RVing soon :)

Reactions: Stump
For those of us really into steam boilers….or as my case is, found one attached to my house and figured Id better learn something about it cause a lot of hvac guys don’t know them well.

It’s mostly pros on here but they’ll help out the lonely homeowner especially if theres a lack of pro help in the area

Reactions: Newdude and keatz85
What a cool site Early Retirement Financial Independence Community. I have some reading to do and thank you keatz85 for providing link. I`m newly retired 2/28/22 at 59 got a 401k with Fidelity and put my pension in IRA with Charles Schwab.

Go big

Newmar4344.jpg

Many professionals, but they are there to help homeowners fix their appliances. The refrigerator went out in my motorhome. The only way to replace it is to remove the windshield and lift it out.

I posted the problem, they gave me a few tests to run with a meter. I answered with the readings and they told me what board was bad. $170 and it's as good as new.....

I posted the problem, they gave me a few tests to run with a meter. I answered with the readings and they told me what board was bad.
I hope you didn't give them any lip about needing readings from a specific meter, while they were going out of there way to help you, for free, with the meter they knew how to work. :poke: :laughblue:

I will be into RVing soon
I’ve been on the cusp of buying several times ever since I retired 5 years ago. It’s a bit of tug of war with my wife. She’s fine with RVing for a couple of weeks max. We live in Texas and there’s not really a summer destination that’s desirable that can be done on a 2 week timeframe, at least not the way I want to do it. I’d ultimately like to go to Alaska and back, but she’d never go for that. So I live vicariously through others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.