West Texas Pool Build

Re: Our West Texas Pool Build

Here are the tiles we are using for step markers. I want two strips, but the wife wants a single line along the edge instead of two. Either way I think it will be a nice touch.

markers2rs_zpsc6103c04-1.jpg

Another angle. They are really pretty and change a lot from different viewpoints....

markers1rs_zps898aea09-1.jpg

Here we have the finish choices we are down too. Originally we were going with straight "Granite" on the left. I think now we will go with a blend of both. The blue is called "Cobalt". Currently, we are looking to add about 20% of it into the mix.

finish1rs_zps3864b2bc-1.jpg

Right now we are waitin on weather to move forward. Guess we will see how that shakes out, but it's nasty again today. Getting a little tired of winter around here y'all.

If you mean water line tile, it is the light blue glossy stuff standing on edge.

The glass tile is only for step markers, so there will be very little of it. Good thing too, it runs about 13 a square...:shock:

I think it's going to look good Pat. I like all the choices you've made so far.

I hear ya about the weather. We have a storm coming tomorrow. 4-8 inches. I've had enough of winter here.

Love the tiles you (or your wife!) chose with the pool finish. We debated the glass one inch tiles for the step markers and the one/two strip options, but ended up choosing a 2" tile in the same finish as the wall tile so the point became moot (not that it's actually on the pool, it sits in a box in the backyard while we fight the weather). Before the demo, we had 3" step tiles on both the horizontal and vertical faces of the step but will only be putting the marker tile on the horizontal face of the step this time, slightly set back from the edge of the plaster (whatever is feasible, 1 or 2" from the edge) since having it exactly on the edge like it was before was a PITA with the grout corroding at the 90 degree angle the tiles met at and allowing a lot of algae incursion. Basically, all to say, make sure your step tile is surrounded by your pool finish on all sides!

Mine are black 2 inch tiles set on a diamond pattern about 6 inches apart on the steps and a foot or so on the ledge and spa - I was a little worried that they would blend into the plaster color since it's so dark but it's not a problem and they are easily seen, but don't detract from the look we were going for.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Black Diamonds! :whoot: :D

Thanks Mia,
I was not sure of that choice at first look, but I'ts growing on me more and more all the time. We really weren't 100% firm on mixing in Sapphire until we found this tile. We were both thinking the same thing though, ""we really should add some now" kinda thing. I want the Sapphire to just add a little Blue to the mix. I'm afraid going with just it would give the "too Blue" look I don't always like. I'm tired of the weather too and know you are anxious to move along. I need to stop by yours and see the latest, but we are not doing anything until late week or early next week.

PB just sent me a note today saying so. So, more hurry up and wait. :D

I really like those finishes. I'm with you on the weather! We had a discussion about it w/ the PB on Friday (since it was actually nice out). He was hoping to Gunite this week. but it's looking like that won't happen given these stupid cold fronts that keep coming.

The tile choices and step markers are beautiful!

Patrick, what does your PB use as a low-temperature cutoff for concrete work (mortar, thinset, etc, too)? I'm wondering what the low temps in TX are usually like and why it seems like south of the Red the builds are flying past me! :) Monday's low is hovering around 32/39 depending which source you look at, and I'm wondering if we need to pull the plug on our coping pour. 39 I'd definitely go forward (my goal is 40) but 32 is a little close for comfort.

You know, I hate to say this, but I think he doesn't. If the plant will send it, it's ok by them. I thought it was too cold when we shot, but they didn't.

This is one of those I've found nothing but controversy on. One guys says 40 and above ONLY, another says...Oh...it's fine as long as it isn't freezing. Very frustrating. :rant:

I'm with you though, 32 does seem unreasonable, and common sense to me says wait. Sorry not to be of more help. I know it's frustrating for you not being any further away than that. Just a little above the old RR does make a lot of difference though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.