Welcome and yet another CYA/FC question.

I have a stenner pump with a bleach vat that injects chlorine to my plumbing. Search Stenner Pump here, lots of info. I connected to smart plug controlled by alexa. I test, calculate number of minutes in my head for my pump, then say "Alexa run pump for 30 minutes." I'm done. I know my pool well enough that when I go away I just setup alexa routine to pump for 30 minutes and it will maintain my pool.

This is my kinda stuff right here. I'll have to get cracking on something like this.

With you being in Austin TX, with hot summer weather, you may be better served by a SWG. Beach will degrade faster when stored in high temps. It's possible that the storage tank for a Stenner setup will get a bit toasty sitting outside in your area. Initial buy in is higher with a SWG - but over time is wash when compared to liquid chlorine over the same time period. Another pro is no more jug lugging (until the pool water temp is in the 60's - but FC usage is quite diminished then too).

Reactions: BryRocket
If you only have the K-2005 Taylor test kit, you are missing the all important FAS-DPD test. The FAS-DPD test is the most reliable for FC levels - espedially above FC 5 ppm.
@proavia Hey there. Fixed the kit up with the FAS-DPD reagents. I’ve now done this 3 times. Twice yesterday (wasn’t sure if I did it right) and once today. Both times the regular DPD showed ~4ppm. Maybe even closer to 3.5ppm. From how I read it anyway. The FAS-DPD each time took the same 12 drops (6ppm). Does that seem to make sense with what y’all have noticed? That the FAS-DPD is more accurate and will generally read higher?

Also thanks for everyone’s help with the CYA test. I did it twice a few days back and, while still high, isn’t quite as high as I thought (or the pool store test said).

Does that seem to make sense with what y’all have noticed? That the FAS-DPD is more accurate and will generally read higher?

Also thanks for everyone’s help with the CYA test. I did it twice a few days back and, while still high, isn’t quite as high as I thought (or the pool store test said).
Yes, I too have noticed the same trend comparing the DPD to the FAS-DPD. I rely on the FAS-DPD for my pool. I do use the DPD for my spa (while in my spa) and like running the FC a bit higher after I'm out.

Yes, I too have noticed the same trend comparing the DPD to the FAS-DPD. I rely on the FAS-DPD for my pool. I do use the DPD for my spa (while in my spa) and run the FC hot for that reason.
DPD reliability maxes out about 5ppm.

Reactions: Oly

From the link...

Not all Taylor comparators go to 10 ppm. What you want is the 2000 series. And you can find it here:

Amazon.com : Replacement Comparator #9056 for Taylor 2000 Series : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Also be aware that if you use this comparator for your pH, you are going to want R-0004, not R-0014 that comes with the smaller pH comparators. (R-0004 is more concentrated). you can use them interchangeably, but you need to adjust the amount of drops.

Two drops of 4 is ~ five drops of 14... But I prefer to use the right comparator with the proper reagent.

From the link...

Not all Taylor comparators go to 10 ppm. What you want is the 2000 series. And you can find it here:

Amazon.com : Replacement Comparator #9056 for Taylor 2000 Series : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden

Also be aware that if you use this comparator for your pH, you are going to want R-0004, not R-0014 that comes with the smaller pH comparators. (R-0004 is more concentrated). you can use them interchangeably, but you need to adjust the amount of drops.

Two drops of 4 is ~ five drops of 14... But I prefer to use the right comparator with the proper reagent.
This is what I have. Curious after reading that if my 0002 is a little old. I have brand new 0001 and 0002 so I’m going to compare those tomorrow.

Not a huge difference between the DPD reagents but looking at the bottle the “older” one exp on 6/22 where the new one says 9/22. With the older ones I would have probably read it at ~4ppm. The new ones maybe 4, but maybe just a hair darker and closer to 5ppm. With the DPD-FAS I again got 12 drops, 6ppm to go to clear. I typically like to stay around that 6ppm area so I may need to switch over more regularly to the DPD-FAS. It does seem easier and quicker now that I’ve done it a few times. Weird their scale goes to 10 but the testing starts to fall apart at that 5 range.

Note question: do you have to wait until ALL of the powder is dissolved?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This will be the last I’ll bang on this but after just a few days of experimenting and emailing back and forth with Taylor, I’m just convinced DPD-FAS is the only way to go. I just did a few more tests this morning with both methods and did each twice. I’ll add a photo of the DPD test. I think even from the photo you’ll agree that it’s close to 3ppm, perhaps suggesting even a little less. Both drop tests indicated a ppm of 6 so that’s a fair amount of discrepancy. Any chance CYA levels could influence the DPD test?

I think I’ll just let my 7 year old do my DPD test while I do the FAS test from this point forward.

Sorry to beat the heck out of this horse.

This has me wondering “just how high have I been running the chlorine?”🤔

Reactions: Oly
I think even from the photo you’ll agree that it’s close to 3ppm
I’m seeing 2 on the nose but besides not being there in person, it’s still subjective at best. If it helps any, I use my fingers to cover the value above and below the one I want to compare. By me doing this here, it’s definitely not 1, or 3, and spot on 2.
Both drop tests indicated a ppm of 6 so that’s a fair amount of discrepancy. Any chance CYA levels could influence the DPD test
Taylor says the drop test is simply unreliable at 3+. Maybe you see something, maybe you don’t. But like you’ve said, you’ve proved to yourself that the powder test is the way to go. I coulda told you that but it hits harder when you realize it yourself. (y)
I think I’ll just let my 7 year old do my DPD test while I do the FAS test from this point forward
LOVE. IT. When I got mine my little one was 10 and I had her doing all the tests. She tired of it quickly but for a couple of weeks she was my chemistry buddy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.