Weird crystals in pool - what to do?

If you used a 25 ml sample, that would be 15.

Why would your TA be so low with a new pool?

If you used a 25 ml sample, that would be 15.

Why would your TA be so low with a new pool?
Confession- Probably because when thought that I couldn’t test for Ph or TA with a free clorine of 22, I periodically added some Muriatic acid (I know- seems really dumb now!!!)

Confession- Probably because when thought that I couldn’t test for Ph or TA with a free clorine of 22, I periodically added some Muriatic acid (I know- seems really dumb now!!!)
I did this because prior to the SLAM, my pool had tended to have the ph rise easily, because it was a new pool. I told myself I was keeping to the same acid adding schedule I used when I regularly tested ph….

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok. You misunderstood me or I was not clear enough …

You only use the dilution method to measure pH when the FC is above 20ppm. You DO NOT use a diluted sample for TA.

For the TA test, with an FC above 20ppm, I would recommend the normal water sample (25mL of straight pool water) and add 2 drops of R-0007 at the beginning, not 1 drop.

Retest TA and post that result. Forget about pH for now.

Reactions: mknauss
Ok. You misunderstood me or I was not clear enough …

You only use the dilution method to measure pH when the FC is above 20ppm. You DO NOT use a diluted sample for TA.

For the TA test, with an FC above 20ppm, I would recommend the normal water sample (25mL of straight pool water) and add 2 drops of R-0007 at the beginning, not 1 drop.

Retest TA and post that result. Forget about pH for now.
TA = 30 (undiluted sample) I only diluted the ph sample! Confused myself. Thanks for your patience!

You’re TA is very low. I suggest you raise it to at least 50ppm using baking soda.

Assuming that no one was using dry acid (sulfates) in your pool, here’s my theory based on what our plaster experts have posted in the past - the plaster has been kept in a constant state of low saturation (negative CSI). This has impeded or retarded the formation calcite (CaCO3) in the plaster matrix. Calcite formation is as critical to cement materials as the hydration of calcium silicate. The raw plaster contains a large amount of portlandite (CaOH2, aka, lime). The calcium hydroxide is also extremely alkaline and will drive pH up right near the surface of the plaster. This causes calcite to form near the surface and what your seeing the robot pickup is that calcite (probably mixed with other stuff as well).

The trick with new plaster is this - you need to keep the water saturation balanced as much as possible - not negative, not positive, but near zero as much as you can. The easiest way to achieve that is to keep the TA at recommended levels (usually 50-80ppm) and the let the pH stay in the range between 7.6-7.9. That way the calcium hydroxide in the plaster can fully carbonate and form a properly hardened calcite surface layer. Since you have an SWG you’ll need to keep an eye on it, or not use it much, because the balanced saturation water will likely cause scaling inside the cell. Once the plaster settles down, then you can use the SWG more.

I put a drop of Muriatic acid on the crystals and didn’t see bubbling. Same thing when I let this dry to a white flakey powder.
Maybe see if the University of Arizona Chemistry lab will analyze the sample for you and bring a water sample to let them test for sulfate.

In the case below they submitted samples to the University of Arizona Chemistry lab for infrared spectroscopy.

The IR scan confirmed they were indeed calcium sulfate.

Note: You can also try ASU; I hear that they are pretty smart there as well.

Last edited:
Note: You can also try ASU; I hear that they are pretty smart there as well.

:ROFLMAO: … oh wait, you were being serious …

If you need advice on how to work on your tan or what type of basket weaving works best in the desert, then yes, ASU is your go-to source ….

They need to test for sulfates for their beer brewing class.

Also, the next time you need a handmade picnic basket, you should appreciate the hard work of ASU graduates.

Reactions: JoyfulNoise
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.