Weak spa spillover rate

bware

Platinum Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
The Woodlands, TX
After our recent cold spell and subsequent two days of freeze protection running,my spa spillover rate is greatly reduced. Noticed pressure side Pentair valve is about 1/3 closed.
Any thoughts on what’s happening here?

b,

Spillover spas operate when in the pool mode. Most of the water should go back to the pool, but some of the water is also sent to the spa to cause it to spillover into the pool. Any decrease in the water flow will cause the spa overflow to get weak.

Normally this means that the filter is dirty, and that could be the case, but due to our recent weather, I would be looking for something in the return line that is still frozen.. Could be inside the filter, causing weak flow..

If one of your valves on the return side is partially closed, this could also decrease the flow to the spa. But.. there can be a number of valves on the return side, so no way to know which valve you are talking about without some pics.

Thanks,

Jim R.

b,

Spillover spas operate when in the pool mode. Most of the water should go back to the pool, but some of the water is also sent to the spa to cause it to spillover into the pool. Any decrease in the water flow will cause the spa overflow to get weak.

Normally this means that the filter is dirty, and that could be the case, but due to our recent weather, I would be looking for something in the return line that is still frozen.. Could be inside the filter, causing weak flow..

If one of your valves on the return side is partially closed, this could also decrease the flow to the spa. But.. there can be a number of valves on the return side, so no way to know which valve you are talking about without some pics.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks Jim,
I had new Pentair CCP420 put in this past spring and the pressure hasn’t increased more than 3lbs since.
Also, when pump shuts off, spa drains down almost to returns. I’ll post a pic of the position of valve which is in same position after pump is off.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.jpeg
    IMG_0378.jpeg
    798.3 KB · Views: 11
B,

The only "pressure side" valve is your automated Return valve.. It is currently set to the pool mode, which is where it should be when your spillover is working..

Your "suction side" automated Intake valve is set to an odd position. It should be set to suck all the water from the Pool (pool mode) but is set to suck some water from the spa, which it should not do when in the pool mode.

Either that valve is bad or has been set in correctly..

Since water is being sucked out of the spa, it would take much more water going into the spa to cause a spillover.

Any idea why the valve is set like it is??

I would switch back and forth between the pool mode and spa mode while you watch the Intake valve and see how it moves.. Both the Return valve and the Intake valve should move 180 degrees when switching between the pool mode and spa mode.

Do you take care of the pool or do you have a pool service??

Thanks,

Jim R.

B,

The only "pressure side" valve is your automated Return valve.. It is currently set to the pool mode, which is where it should be when your spillover is working..

Your "suction side" automated Intake valve is set to an odd position. It should be set to suck all the water from the Pool (pool mode) but is set to suck some water from the spa, which it should not do when in the pool mode.

Either that valve is bad or has been set in correctly..

Since water is being sucked out of the spa, it would take much more water going into the spa to cause a spillover.

Any idea why the valve is set like it is??

I would switch back and forth between the pool mode and spa mode while you watch the Intake valve and see how it moves.. Both the Return valve and the Intake valve should move 180 degrees when switching between the pool mode and spa mode.

Do you take care of the pool or do you have a pool service??

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim
I’m wondering if the valve malfunctioned during the constant moving from pool to spa in freeze mode during the hard freeze we had for several days last week.
I’ll check it out tomorrow as you suggested
I’m hard headed and take care of the regular maintenance myself, but have a pool guy for the heavy lifting.
I’ll report back later.
Many thanks for your help.

I’m wondering if the valve malfunctioned during the constant moving from pool to spa in freeze mode during the hard freeze we had for several days last week.
b,

I suspect that is the case...

I think it is commendable, not hard-headed, that you take care of your own pool.. No one else is going to care about your pool more than you.. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.