Weak jets, bubbles, and leak

Nov 9, 2014
Albany, ny
We opened a few weeks ago and have noticed that jets have become very weak. There are likely a few problems going on here, so wanted to get some advice before I start taking things apart. Pool is about 20k gal, in ground, swg, DE FILTER. Water is crystal clear, tested over weekend:

FC/TC 3.5
TA 90
Ph 7.5
Cya 60
CH 175
Salt 3000ppm
Temp was 75 last weeknd, but down to 70 with cooler weather lately

There seems to be 3 problems: 1 bubbles in jets, 2 weak jets on filter mode, 3 good pressure on circulate mode, but then water leaks out of backwash hose.

Anyway, the jets were normal pressure when first opened but became very weak. Guage on filter must be broken, because it never moves from 8. I have backwashed/rinsed filter numerous times, which helps the pressure, but only for 30 mins to an hour before getting very weak again. There are quite a bit of bubbles in jets, that just float right up because of no pressure. Looking into the pot, there is hardly any movement of water. Initially i was thinking pump bad.......but when i change to circulate (bypass filter) the pressure is excellent. So this tells me pump is fine. The bubbles persist on circulate mode. However, when i run on circulate for awhile, there is significant water coming out of the backwash hose. Not gushing, but enough to fill hose in 15-30 mins or so.

This leads me to think there are a few separate problems here, ie suction side leak causing bubbles, some obstruction inside the filter (or plumbimg to filter), and bad gasket in the valve.

I noticed theres a drain plug on bottom of pump pot and gasket looks bad, hopefully replacing that should fix bubbles. Then I figure i should take apart the filter, inspect and clean grids. Then look at the valve gasket, as that is likely causing the leak into backwash hose. How difficult is taking apart filter and valve assembly, as I havent taken any of these components since moving here. I hate to call someone if I dont have to. Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 39
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.