Waterway Oasis Controller will not communicate with new VS Defender 270 Pump

thunderbunny01

Oct 26, 2022
Austin
Hi All - New to the pool community world and super stuck to why our newly installed defender 270 pump will not communicate with our Oasis controller. Does anyone have any experience with these two products and have any type of wiring diagram or spec?

All the help much appreciated!!

I have never heard of an Oasis controller nor the Defender 270 pump, so I have no direct experience with them.

That said, most things only work with the same brand of device. So, if your Oasis is not made by the same company that makes the Defender, it is likely the two units won't talk the same 'language'.

I'm going to do a little research and see what I can find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

It appears to me your pump can be only controlled by discrete relay or switch inputs. Do you know how your system is currently set up?

I could be wrong, but the manual I found only shows one way to control the pump. Of course, without a valid part number, I could be looking at the wrong pump..

Edit.. I did find Waterway Oasis controllers and the one I looked at did show info about connecting to a Waterway pump. But there appear to be a number of controllers and a number of pumps. So, without the actual part numbers, there is not much I can do to help.

Do you have the manuals that go with the equipment?

Do you know the part numbers of your equipment?

Was this equipment installed by a pool builder or ???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
The manuals below describe the connection via RS-485 and system configuration.

Power Defender Installation Guide
Power Defender 165/225/270 Variable Speed Pumps can be connected to the Waterway OASIS Pool Controller via quick and direct communication through a RS-485 cord. This provides full control with respect to schedule and speed of the variable speed pump (see page 13 of the OASIS manual).

Oasis Instruction Manual
Select the correct pump manufacturer and model from Installer Setup. Connect the Communication cable to the OASIS variable speed connection terminal as shown below. (Figure 10.3) When using Installer Setup to configure the OASIS Pool Controller for a Variable Speed pump it is important to select the correct pump.
WWVSP = Power Defender 165 & Power Defender 270
WWVSP2 = Power Defender 300
Intel VSP = Pentair IntelliFlo pumps
Hayward VSP = select Hayward EcoStar VS pumps
Jandy VSP = select Jandy Pro Series VS pumps

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Hi All - New to the pool community world and super stuck to why our newly installed defender 270 pump will not communicate with our Oasis controller. Does anyone have any experience with these two products and have any type of wiring diagram or spec?

All the help much appreciated!!
Which motor is on your Power Defender 270? If it is the Neptune, you need to use the instructions for the Power Defender 300 in the manual and menu.

Attachments

• Oasis Manual.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.