Water temp tripping light GFCI

shimian

Mar 18, 2024
SoCal
Recently moved and trying to work my way through this new spa-pool we have. I say spa-pool because it's closer in size to a spa, than a pool, but I digress.

It has one light. To my eye, it appears to be an LED based on how white it is. If I had to guess, it's an LED bulb in the existing housing. Since we've moved in, the light has worked fine whenever I have gone to operate it.

Last night, we decided it would be fun to see if we could heat this thing to 104 like a spa. A few hours later, it was warm and we went in.

Except, no light. I checked all of the equipment, that looked fine. I then realized the GFCI was tripped. I tried resetting it and it would immediately trigger as soon as I turned on the light. I powered down all of the equipment and tested to ground on the hot and neutral but came up empty. Bolted it all back up and went to bed.

Woke up this morning now that the pool has come back into reality temperatures and wouldn't you know it, the light works.

Where do I even begin? Is there some kind of temperature sensor that exists on older incandescent housings that is tripping even though it's been retrofitted with LED? Do I need to buy a spa specific housing?

Welcome to TFP.

Is there some kind of temperature sensor that exists on older incandescent housings that is tripping even though it's been retrofitted with LED?

No. Although some LED lights may have a thermal sensor.

Do I need to buy a spa specific housing?

No such thing.

Have you opened up the light and examined the fixture for water intrusion and corrosion?

Corrosion can be temperature sensitive and start leaking electrons more then the GFCI threshold as the light gets hotter.

Welcome to TFP.

No. Although some LED lights may have a thermal sensor.

No such thing.

Have you opened up the light and examined the fixture for water intrusion and corrosion?

Corrosion can be temperature sensitive and start leaking electrons more then the GFCI threshold as the light gets hotter.
Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to get under there and look. I was just surprised to see it working today when I tried it.

I will likely pull it out of the pool and check this coming up weekend. In the interim, I planned to replace the GFCI as it appears to be original and is partially exposed to weather and it's the easiest thing to change.

At a minimum I suppose I should order a new gasket and reseal the unit if I find water has gotten in?