Water Temp target for FC

So you planned and added CYA liquid or dry to that level?

I understand the desired higher range due to the SWG, just want to make sure you are getting a good reading on the CYA test. That's a little high but if correct you can work with it. Recommendations in Pool School for a SWG are 60 to 80.

Dan,

We don't recomend CYA that high. As you read more on the forums and in Pool School it will start to come together and you will understand why.

Just don't add any more and make sure you keep the FC correct for CYA 100 on the FC/CYA chart. If you let any algae get a foot hold in your pool it is going to,take lots of chlorine at that high a CYA to get it under control.

Roger that! I will just let it go and monitor. I added the recommended amount when the pool had zero readings for chlorine. Hopefully it will slowly come down and will surely keep an eye on the FC and CC!

- - - Updated - - -

OBTW! I will NEVER set foot in a Leslie pool store again!

Wait, What? In post #6 OP remarks that CYA is at 97, after a recent liner instal?? What test method was used to determine that? Seems suspect and you need a good CYA for chlorine dosing min and target, right?

You are right and shame on me for not reading the entire thread.

Dan, as Tim said, we don't suggest Cya 60-100. Please slow down, and take some time in Pool School. It is great you are on board here, but there are some points you are skimming over it seems. Just take your time, we'll be here to help if you need it.

My previous post asking about your sample size was because of the 7.25 as James mentioned. You shouldn't come up with that on a 0.5 multiplier.

OK, now I am thoroughly confused! For my FAS-DPD test, I used a 10ml sample. I added 15 drops until the color went from pink to colorless. I then multiplied 15 x .5 = 7.5??? What am I missing? I then added a total of 2 drops of the reagent and that equates to .5 X 2 = 1ppm, right? I also performed my CYA test again and came up about 95. The idiots at Leslies tested my water and told me the levels should be 60-100 and recommended the amount I should add. It went from 0 to 95. IF I had known the amount should be less, I would not have added so much conditioner!

Sounds like you did the FAS-DPD correctly ... maybe the 7.25 was a typo and should have been 7.5.

With a CYA that high, I would dump out half the mix and refill with tap water, mix and try the test again, then multiply by 2. Sometimes easier to see the result in the 40-50ppm range than the very close together lines at 90-100ppm. Also, pour the mixture back and forth and get a few readings to make sure you are consistent.

Jason,
I very carefully did the tests again. My FAS-DPD tests came out at 6.5 (13 drops at the 10 ml level) and 1 ppm (2 drops to remove the pink)respectively. I tried the diluted method you described for the CYA and came up with 90 this time. Will the CYA come down over time and, if so, what do I need to pay attention to in the meantime? If needed, I can always drain out some water and start again.

CYA doesn't evaporate or get used up. It will over time go down as you backwash the filter and lose some that way. Since you are running a SWCG you aren't really that high but you are at the upper end.

You need to start using "PoolMath" and getting comfortable with the numbers so you have better control over what you add. http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
The link for Pool Math is at the top of each page.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jason, Yes, I agree with you about the pool math. I am studying it very hard. I used the pool store initially to start adding the chemicals. I had no idea that they would be radically different from what this site recommends. I told them the size and what I had for a liner, SWG, etc., and their numbers are a LOT different than you folks. Who knew? LOL

Who knew? LOL
We did ... that is why we are all here :mrgreen:

90ppm is tolerable for the SWG pool. You will need to keep the FC > 4ppm at all times, so where you are is not bad.
BUT, that continued CC of 1ppm violates the < 0.5ppm rule and could point to the need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. Due to the high CYA level, you would have to maintain a FC level of 35ppm for this process. I might suggest raising the FC to >20ppm, turn the SWG off, leave the pump on, and Perform the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you pass, the FC bump might have been enough to take care of the CC and you will be fine for normal maintenance, if you fail, then you need to SLAM.

Jason, I tried ONE more test of the FSD-CPD. I came up with the 6.5 number again, but, I only added ONE drop to turn it back, so I am at the .5 ppm range. I tried it twice just to make absolutely sure of the number. I thought I might have gotten an extra one in there the first time. We are getting rain right now(last 36 hours), so I guess that is why my readings today might have been a little different than 2 days ago. I will continue to monitor and test and will post the results here in a few days after the rain stops. Thanks for the help, see you in a few days.

Rain generally has very little effect on readings as it adds only a very small percentage of water increase. Unless the volume is substantial, multiple inches and up. Though rain additions can trend water chemistry over time but those are things you will notice in your routine testing.
You will get more comfortable with your testing in time and eventually feel completely confident in your skills. There is also the idea that the difference between say 6.5 and 7 ppm of FC for example, generally doesn't mean a hill of beans.

Just wanted to update my post! After fighting my chlorine levels for a few weeks and after my water warmed up to about 79 degrees, I started noticing that my SWG didn't seem to be working correctly. Lots of talking on the phone confirmed my suspicions that my unit was not putting out hardly any voltage! Big shout to Aqua Cal and Jennifer Arce for helping me out and getting another mother board heading my way immediately! Will post again when I get a working unit! All other readings are doing ok, just glad it wasn't summer yet!

Received my new board and my SWG is now working like a champ! SLAMmed my pool up to 27 and have been letting it settle back down. After 10 days it has dropped to 10-11.All of my other readings are well within range. Going to start experimenting on SWG run times to keep the chlorine at proper levels. Pool is sparkling clear and I am looking forward to summer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.