White Plains, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I see the topic of cordless robots come up from time to time and I wanted to share my experience with the newest Water Tech model. This is a newer version of their previous model CX-1. To me they look essentially the same except for the color, but the Volt 550 comes with a 3 year warranty. The company told me the software has also improved, but I have no basis for comparison. Both are powered by a large lithium ion battery. In my setup, the nearest outlet is too far away to allow coverage of even half the pool (even with a 60 ft cord). We also never liked the cord and having to pull the robot out of the water to swim to avoid getting tangled up. Plus I'm really enjoying the Instapark Betta surface skimmer and a cord might get in the way. There aren't a lot of cordless options that are competitive in terms of power to corded models and this is the best I could find. This is my second robot, having owned a Hayward Tigershark several years ago. I can't really compare to a modern Maytronics since I haven't owned one. Anyway, I've had it about 6 weeks and here are my initial thoughts:

Pros:
1. It's cordless!
2. Charge lasts up to a week. At the start of a run, there is a button to press to toggle between a single long run vs cleaning a little every day for a week. The first day of the week schedule is long and the other days are short (can't remember the exact time). I typically use the "weekly" mode but don't always get the full 7 cleanings (usually 6). It takes 6-8 hours to fully charge.
3. Does a good job of getting the dirt at the bottom.
4. Can clean the sides. Before the start of a run, you press a button to toggle between sides+bottom or bottom only.
5. You start the cleaner on the deck and it motors itself into the pool (kind of drops over the edge).
6. Comes with a hook you attach to a standard pool brush pole to pull the robot out when it needs to be recharged. This is surprisingly easy to do and I find it much easier than pulling on a cord. There are red LEDs on the top of the robot. They blink when the battery is getting low and turn off when it is time to recharge. They are easy enough to see to let you know when to pull it out.
7. It collects the dirt in a thick bag attached to a frame. They provide an extra bag. I find this very easy to clean (especially compared to the filters of the Tigershark) and it captures fine particles well.
8. It's fairly compact, with no big handle. You had to shift the angle of the handle on the Tigershark with every cleaning or the belt came off center. That is not required and there are some built-in handles on the sides for carrying it around.

Cons:
1. Though it cleans the walls, it is not great at the waterline tile.
2. The charge only gets you about 4 hours of run time, so you can't keep running it like a corded robot if you have a large amount of debris.
3. The filter bag is accessed from the bottom. Not as much of an issue as other robots since there is no cord or handle on the top.
4. No idea how well this will hold up. The warranty is key, especially for the battery.
5. No remote control, WiFI or Bluetooth.
5. My pool is fairly large and would benefit from a longer run time.
6. Expensive!

I've been leaving it in the pool all week and pulling it out on the weekend for an overnight charge and then back in it goes. I have a GFI outlet in my pool shed dedicated as a charging station. Overall, it has been working well and between it and the Betta skimmer, the pool has minimal debris. I'll follow up at the end of the season with an update.

Still going strong. I noticed the battery lasted a little longer after several discharge/recharge cycles. Have not had any issues. I do like that I can start it up on a Sunday and pull it out the following Saturday. Takes me about 5 min to rinse it clean. I charge it overnight and stick in back in the pool on Sunday. So one month later, still pleased with this robot. Combined with my Instapark Betta, the pool looks great.

For quick touch ups if I have some debris on the steps (which neither robot can reach) or if we want to swim just after the lawn guys have blown everything around, I picked up a Water Tech Pool Blaster Volt FX-8Li on a good sale. This is essentially a more powerful version of the Pool Blaster Max with a 2 year warranty.

Reactions: caroexx and Newdude
Yeah, that part is annoying. You need to buy through a dealer. It's not available online. I contacted Water Tech and they directed me to a nearby dealer who shipped it. Ended up getting it through "Jersey Chemicals" in Paterson, NJ. The person I spoke with was Dave. Given your location, you may want to contact Water Tech to see if there is a dealer closer to you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.