Water softener installation!!

Nice setup. Since you have detectable iron in the well I highly suggest using a iron-specific resin cleaner periodically. Ion exchange resins can reversibly exchange mono- and divalent metal cations like Na, Mg and Ca but transition metals like Fe tend to irreversibly bind to the resin and cause permanent loss of exchange function. Resin cleaners can pull the iron out. There’s also air injection into the well to help oxidize the iron into insoluble precipitates if you can prefilter them out before they hit the ion exchange resins.
I’ve had some decent luck with just using the iron out salt. The old softener was only 32k size at 17years old. Probably a little undersized for the house, I didn’t notice any iron buildup in the sink fixtures or dishwasher etc, but you could tell looking in the toilet tanks, they were a little tan. I did opt for the res care feeder on this one if the iron is getting by I can fill it up and set it on auto pilot for treatment.

The 10” old filter I was changing out on a monthly schedule.. it was always orange when I pulled it out. I could never tell if it needed to be replaced. The new filter I installed pressure gauges on either side so I know when it’s time to change it, plus it filters to a much lower micron level. It will be interesting to see how long it will go before I see 5-10psi drop.

The iron was 0.87 mg/L. The CaC03 was 270. Water test didn’t test for Mg.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoyfulNoise
We have had our pool on our house soft-water for 25 years. We added a salt Chlorinator in 2018 and it’s a lot easier to maintain because you don’t have to actually go out and test the water. It is well worth it and not having to add CH tabs, especially with the cost of CH lately. Never had a problem until this year and for some reason we have a hard water line. Other than that, the soft-water has paid off, both in the house and the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.