Water Sampling Tool

jcmac

May 28, 2010
Since I am really tired of kneeling on concrete and reaching into the water a full arm length to get a water sample, I made a tool. Really simple (don't laugh) but after using it for a week I am loving it. Cut about 6 inches of 1 inch PVC and glued a cap on one end and then clamped (stainless hose clamp) that tube to a piece of 1/2 in PVC about 18 inches long. Looks like a dipper or ladle. Dip into pool at chosen location (while in near standing position) for water sample and transfer water right into test vials. Not too scientific but it works! :party:

Mine's a 4' long 1" PVC with a cap on one end, and a 1/8" hole drilled in the pipe below the cap. Cover the hole with my thumb, put it in the water, and open the hole. When it stops filling (about 2 seconds,) I cover the hole back up, pull it out and release it into a measuring cup. Usually nets just over 2 cups of water, which is enough for testing and rinsing.

TimS said:
Mine's a 4' long 1" PVC with a cap on one end, and a 1/8" hole drilled in the pipe below the cap. Cover the hole with my thumb, put it in the water, and open the hole. When it stops filling (about 2 seconds,) I cover the hole back up, pull it out and release it into a measuring cup. Usually nets just over 2 cups of water, which is enough for testing and rinsing.

I like this one! May be my next invention. :wink:

My fingers would cover (just barely) the end of the pipe in order to get the sample but, by the time I got the pipe up and over the side of the pool, my finger would slip or the pipe would tilt and there'd go my sample. Right back into the pool. Maybe not an issue for a taller person or someone with a pool that they are standing level with the top of the pool. But for me, standing outside the above ground pool and reaching over the side. I needed help. So I made this little jewel.

I used 3/4" pvc pipe about 18" long (so I can get my sample from down below) and a pressure connecting cap.
I heated an ice pick with a kitchen blow torch, and it just glided thru the cap. A nice smooth hole.
Pressed the cap onto the piece of pvc (no glue needed).

I place my finger over the tiny hole, dip the pipe into the pool, remove my finger so the pipe fills up and the put my finger back over the hole.

Realizing that all of y'all before me on this thread have already made your sample taking tools, I just figured I'd throw mine out there too.

TimS, I never thought of putting the hole on the side of the pipe. Even better!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.