Douglas, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I am itching to get my SWG up & running. Since recently joining this community I have been working on my numbers. That said everything is moving in the right direction but taking it's time.
TA is 100
CH is 285
As of lastnight. I have along with 22 bags of salt a bucket of Calcium Chloride & continue to reduce my PH to 7.2 & keeping my waterfall feature on.
Question is should I just work on that over the next week or until it's perfect or get the salt going?
Chlorine isnt cheap any longer BTW!!

Appreciate you all - Culler

Get the salt dissolving

Each bag of salt will add 191ppm to your pool.

What salt test kit do you have?

Add 10 bags, let it circulate a few days, and test. You should have about 1900ppm. That would validate your 25,000 gallon pool size.

You need about 17 bags - 720lbs - for 3400ppm.

Don't add it all at one time. See how many bags get you to 2,000ppm. then add half that amount to get to 3,000. Then another bag or two.

How long has it been since your plaster was done and the pool filled?

Get the salt dissolving

Each bag of salt will add 191ppm to your pool.

What salt test kit do you have?

Add 10 bags, let it circulate a few days, and test. You should have about 1900ppm. That would validate your 25,000 gallon pool size.

You need about 17 bags - 720lbs - for 3400ppm.

Don't add it all at one time. See how many bags get you to 2,000ppm. then add half that amount to get to 3,000. Then another bag or two.

How long has it been since your plaster was done and the pool filled?
-Plaster has been done for 90 days.
-I am using Taylor test kit
So sounds like the slow correcting TA & CH is not an issue - Is that correct?

TA of 100 is not a problem. Leave it a for now. Just maintain your pH in the 7's.

CH of 210 is ok. Getting it up to 250-300 would be a bit better but no rush on that.

Reactions: Culler
TA of 100 is not a problem. Leave it a for now. Just maintain your pH in the 7's.

CH of 210 is ok. Getting it up to 250-300 would b!e a bit better but no rush on that.
Great!
The CH is actually 285. I have not updated my signature/parameters in several days now while I've been adjusting. Thank you Ajw22!

I always like to brush my salt around until it has dissolved. Letting it sit in one spot increases your chances of staining.

You can save your CH reagent and test with a 10ml sample. A CH result to the nearest 25ppm is close enough.

Surprised by readings of 800k prior to adding salt. So I'll have a few extra bags on hand. Only added 11 bags to get to 3000k & about to get this party started. It's been figured I'll need to run my undersized SWG 24/7 @100% to maintain however thinking I should start off @ maybe 60% & follow how it reacts over the next 24 hours.

Surprised by readings of 800k prior to adding salt. So I'll have a few extra bags on hand. Only added 11 bags to get to 3000k & about to get this party started. It's been figured I'll need to run my undersized SWG 24/7 @100% to maintain however thinking I should start off @ maybe 60% & follow how it reacts over the next 24 hours.

IMO, it’s better to overshoot chlorine production than to undershoot. Start at a higher setting then reduce if needed. That way you don’t risk FC being too low and having to go through a SLAM because nasties started to grow.

Also, if it hasn’t been mentioned, use liquid chlorine to quickly bring FC up to target (preferably the high end of target), then use the SWCG to maintain that FC level. SWCGs are good at maintaining FC, but not boosting FC (and if you already have algae starting to grow, visible or not, the SWCG will not be able to keep up).

Last edited:
Reactions: pwa2003
If you enter your SWCG model, pool volume, pump run time, and target amount of chlorine ppm to generate into the pool math app, it will tell you what % to set it at.

Thanks already have it's a great app! That's how I know its undersized. I'm maintaining 3.5 to 4.5 just like mdragger88 had mentioned. Based on parameters of my setup I'd ideally need to have a 6ppm FC to abide by the TFP guidelines. I'm either going need to replace with a variable pump so I can run 24/7 or upsize my SWG. Maybe both but not in any hurry to scrap brand new equipment. Thanks again for the advice/comments.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks already have it's a great app! That's how I know its undersized. I'm maintaining 3.5 to 4.5 just like mdragger88 had mentioned. Based on parameters of my setup I'd ideally need to have a 6ppm FC to abide by the TFP guidelines. I'm either going need to replace with a variable pump so I can run 24/7 or upsize my SWG. Maybe both but not in any hurry to scrap brand new equipment. Thanks again for the advice/comments.
If you’re maintaining that level, just put liquid chlorine to bump up to 6ppm, then your SWCG should be able to maintain that higher level

6.75 cents per gallon here. That's the cheap brand too. I just believe in the big picture I need a VS pump & run time 24/7 finding my rpm sweet spot then I can Cruze. I mean what's the point of a swg if your adding LC but it's also my 1st season so I dont want to jump the gun & I still have alot to learn. Thanks for the input it is appreciated!

6.75 cents per gallon here. That's the cheap brand too. I just believe in the big picture I need a VS pump & run time 24/7 finding my rpm sweet spot then I can Cruze. I mean what's the point of a swg if your adding LC but it's also my 1st season so I dont want to jump the gun & I still have alot to learn. Thanks for the input it is appreciated!
It’s a one time addition to bump your level. You said your SWCG generates enough each day so your chlorine level doesn’t decrease.

Your current SWCG output = daily chlorine loss.

Once you bump it to 6ppm using liquid chlorine, you will then only need your SWCG.

Does that make sense? Did i miss understand what you said?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.