Water not flowing back to the pool properly. Please advise.

reto02

May 30, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Hello,

My pool pump is able to pull water and throw water through drain pipe (from the filter) fine.

But when I close the drain valve, the water doesn't go through the main pipe back to the pool properly (extremely slow).

When it throws water through the drain valve, the pressure stays less than 10. But when I close the valve, the pressure goes to almost 20.

According to the instructions, I did try to follow the cleaning process mentioned on the filter.

“Recommended when pressure rises more than 10 psi in less than 24 hr period. Stop pump. Move bump handle down gently, then up sharply. Repeat 6-8 times. Open drain and vent valves. After filter has drained, and with drain still open run pump for few seconds to flush out any dirt remaining in the bottom of the filter. Stop pump and close drain and vent valves. Proceed as in starting."

It’s an older pump from the looks (As I moved in last year and this is my first time using a swimming pool). Hayward Perflex Extended-Cycle Filter.

On my main valve, It's a three-way valve. One side says Skimmer. Other side says Deep Suction. Third option is both (Inlet). Attaching pic for reference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

r/swimmingpools - Water not flowing back to the pool properly. Please advise.

1653919192505.png

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Pressure increases coupled with reduced water flow through the filter and out to the return jets is a classic case of a chemistry problem - specifically algae. Do you have a full set of water test results you can share? Test results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit are what we recommend.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.