Water loss

s.hashemirud

May 25, 2023
Seattle
Pool Size
Hello all, is it Norma to lose 1/4 in water each day in July in Seattle due to heating water for 30-40 minutes up-to 78-79 degrees? Normally I do not need refill regularly but I am losing a lot of water recently ( last 10 days). I did partial draining 10 days a go. I drained down to first step since cya is high. I also used magnet plus to get rid of some stains before draining. Then I am not sure what’s going on! Pool is a new thing for me and I am not sure if water loss is normal.

I'm in a different part of the country from you but in May, we had the driest May on record and I lost so much water. I had to fill the pool 3 or 4 times between May and early June. I thought I had a leak but it was all just evaporation. I would say definitely normal.

Reactions: s.hashemirud
I did the bucket test, but the bucket was on the first step then it wasn’t that much in the water and the water loss was the same in pool and bucket. But i repeat with the same position and 12 hours later, it was different. I did not continue the test since the heater got on. I used food dye and put in the skimmer, an hour later, I noticed the color is around the main drain. Does it mean the main drain has leak?

please help! I did the bucket test when the water level was low with pump off. it seems the difference between water loss in the bucket and the pool was not substantial. maybe 1/8 of a quarter or less. however, I needed to refill the pool last night since the water level was low(after 4 days). I checked the water level today morning after 9 hours and while the pump was still off. the water level dropped more than a quarter in 9 hours. I am not sure what's going on. should I ask a professional to test for a leak? during checking time, everything was off and we did not swim.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Could be evaporation. If you are not getting rain, you would see the evaporation. Since it rains alot, you likely are not used to seeing it.

Could be evaporation. If you are not getting rain, you would see the evaporation. Since it rains alot, you likely are not used to seeing it.
thank you for helping! I have done the bucket test multiple times so far. there are somethings that make me indecisive. if there is a 1/8 of inch difference between the water loss in the bucket and the pool, should I be worried about a leak or ignore it? the bucket loses more water during day but the pool loses more water during night. the water loss in the pool is around a quarter more or less. the bucket is on the second step and it is all the way in the pool. we did not have any rain in Seattle the last 2 days and we have a windy week now. the highest temp has been between 75-86. the lowest between 54-60. our pool does not have any cover and it is exposed to the sun since there are not trees around the pool. I really appreciate everyone's support!

thank you for helping! I have done the bucket test multiple times so far. there are somethings that make me indecisive. if there is a 1/8 of inch difference between the water loss in the bucket and the pool, should I be worried about a leak or ignore it? the bucket loses more water during day but the pool loses more water during night. the water loss in the pool is around a quarter more or less. the bucket is on the second step and it is all the way in the pool. we did not have any rain in Seattle the last 2 days and we have a windy week now. the highest temp has been between 75-86. the lowest between 54-60. our pool does not have any cover and it is exposed to the sun since there are not trees around the pool. I really appreciate everyone's support!
I meant the last 20 days

That small of a difference is hard to measure.
If you have a leak, the CH and CYA levels will be effected. Monitor those over a month.

That long of a stretch of no rain in Seattle is not typical. I would still say you have evaporation.

Hello everyone, I wanted to update you about my situation. I checked a previous patched spot in the skimmer by dye and it was leaking. I put some pool putty on it. It seems since then the pool is doing okay. I will check regularly for some days to make sure the issue is over. The pool putty has not hardened enough after 12 hours though. I was wondering what would be a good permanent fixation. Do you recommend schmear pallets or replacement would be reasonable? Thank you all!

Probably nothing wil be permanent. You have movement between the pool and the skimmer and it will likely crack again.

That said, you might get some good years out of a 2-part epoxy patch if you take your time and install it correctly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.