Water line and Infinity edge

bdub241

Jun 7, 2023
Dominican republic
I have a noob question for everyone. Is it a must to put tile on the waterline and infinity edge? I have one pool builder telling me you have to as diamond Brite will turn black if it is exposed out of the water. The other builder is saying you don't and the current trend he is seeing is not using tiles... Thoughts?

Plaster needs to be underwater at all times to avoid cracking and such. It can be done BUT it should NOT be done as the plaster will suffer over time. The people doing the "New trend" will find out soon enough the error of their ways :(

Reactions: sktn77a
I'm doing an OB pool with unusual edges all round. What I'm finding is infinity edge designs are at the point where builders/designers are still experimenting with everything possible. The high end market loves unique and different which is great but for me I also need it to work long term - can't afford a major re-do every few years 'till it's right. Here's my take your question from my searching and learning but not a lot of direct experience yet:
  • I would not do plaster for reasons Kim states for at least a few years. Also for an infinity edge to work best you need a sharp edge this "launches" the overflow better at lower flow. This is especially important for longer edges. You really need at least 5 gpm/ linear ft and that adds up quick.
  • Reviews on glass are mixed. One of the most renowned pool builders is firm with "pools should never have glass in them".
  • Glazed edge tiles should be avoided since it's impossible to grind them to final tweak the flow. Many builders have a crew fine tune that edge "trial and error" after the pool has water in it. So it often needs to be ground.
  • All of the above are leading me to a porcelain tile with the color and pattern all the way through... just in case it needs to be ground. This is almost always required at least a little in the corners at each end.
  • There's more to consider than just the right tile. The layers of materials used to level and adhere to the concrete are very important as well. Most seem to say at least make sure all are part of a system soled by one manufacturer. There is also a developing trend toward using epoxy base but it's early to call it a trend yet.
I hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.