sonnaps

Jun 11, 2022
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am in NJ, the last two weeks had some rain but nothing crazy in my area (at least these last two weeks, we had a lot of rain this season). I had the pool closed by my normal guy who does the opening and closing each year. It was closed two weeks ago, 09/30/2023.

Today I just happened to open the skimmer cover to check if there are any animals or anything trapped in there. I noticed the water level dropped about 2in. I had noted the water level on closing day. It was right on a sharp crease on the gizmo. See attached image.

I Googled a bunch, read some other posts here on TFP. Could this be simple evaporation in two weeks time? The colder weather and air pressure and such that I was reading about? My pool guy thinks not. He doesn't think there is a leak at the gizmo or any plugs since that wouldn't account for that much water loss. He said the plumbing lines wouldn't hold that much water and I agree. He is thinking there might be a cut on the liner somewhere. My pool has straight sides and rounded ends, so if I do the math of 16ft x 32ft x 2", it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-600 gallons of water. Am I doing that calculation correctly? The pool is 8ft on the deep end 3ft on the shallow end. I just calculated volume for 16ft x 32ft x 2" and did some fuzzy logic because of the rounded ends to come up with 400 or so gallons. A true rectangle would be 638 gallons.

Anyway, could you guys offer your opinions and/or what I should do next to be proactive? It's supposed to pour today so I will wait until tomorrow to try a bucket test and check over the next week to see if I am losing any more water. I might fill the pool back up to that crease on the gizmo to be sure.

Screenshot_20231014-101549_Gallery.jpg

When you closed the pool it was warmer and the temps dropped quickly after that. You likely had more evap than you had been having. With 2 weeks to cool the pool now that the 80 degree days are long gone, the evaporation has slowed considerably.

Keep an eye on it. I bet it holds where it is now with some minor fluctuation between rains.

Once the level in the skimmer drops below the weir door it is isolated from the pool. Mark the pool level and continue to compare the water levels in that case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Once the level in the skimmer drops below the weir door it is isolated from the pool. Mark the pool level and continue to compare the water levels in that case.
I completely forgot about that. It's raining out now but in the morning I will pull back the cover by the stairs and see. It could be lower and I wouldn't even know it now by just looking at the skimmer. Thanks for pointing that out.

I couldn't wait, I kept thinking about it. The water level is about 1/2-1" below the first step. I honestly don't know where the weir door lines up with the steps, though. I never compared the two.

20231014_131813 copy.jpg

20231014_131821 copy.jpg

Now you can mark the current level on the steps and watch that level. With warm days and cool nights there will be a lot of evaporation.

I am in NJ, the last two weeks had some rain but nothing crazy in my area (at least these last two weeks, we had a lot of rain this season). I had the pool closed by my normal guy who does the opening and closing each year. It was closed two weeks ago, 09/30/2023.

Today I just happened to open the skimmer cover to check if there are any animals or anything trapped in there. I noticed the water level dropped about 2in. I had noted the water level on closing day. It was right on a sharp crease on the gizmo. See attached image.

I Googled a bunch, read some other posts here on TFP. Could this be simple evaporation in two weeks time? The colder weather and air pressure and such that I was reading about? My pool guy thinks not. He doesn't think there is a leak at the gizmo or any plugs since that wouldn't account for that much water loss. He said the plumbing lines wouldn't hold that much water and I agree. He is thinking there might be a cut on the liner somewhere. My pool has straight sides and rounded ends, so if I do the math of 16ft x 32ft x 2", it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-600 gallons of water. Am I doing that calculation correctly? The pool is 8ft on the deep end 3ft on the shallow end. I just calculated volume for 16ft x 32ft x 2" and did some fuzzy logic because of the rounded ends to come up with 400 or so gallons. A true rectangle would be 638 gallons.

Anyway, could you guys offer your opinions and/or what I should do next to be proactive? It's supposed to pour today so I will wait until tomorrow to try a bucket test and check over the next week to see if I am losing any more water. I might fill the pool back up to that crease on the gizmo to be sure.

View attachment 535602

The oring on the gizmo looks like it’s squeezed out a bit. Might check that. The seals on those are kind of a joke because they pop out like that. I have to screw them in until they just start compressing and then stop. You could also wrap the gizmo threads with Teflon tape.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.