Water Level Control

hAltonJones

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm pretty familiar with the types and operation of control systems. However, I don't have clue what kind my pool has or where it might be hiding. I'm guessing it has some type of ball-float level control, but I don't know where it is. Any suggestions on where to start my search?

What are the common setups for pools?

There is no common setup for pools. Varies widely based on pool builder and plumber creativity.

Post some pics of your equipment and plumbing and pool and we will try and help you figure out what you have.

Howard,

How do you know that you even have one??? A lot of pools are built without any type of auto-fill system..

They are often installed in the deck, near the pool, and look like an additional skimmer cover from the top.. But, as Allen points out, there are several different ways to do it.

They often get their water by being connected to a standard hose bib and would have an obvious check valve/backflow preventer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

I know I've got one because I've watched the pool fill back to a set level whenever I drain water from the pool. The problem is now it's slowly filling above the set point leading me to believe the fill valve has a slow leak, i.e., it's not properly closing.

Howard,

I would assume the 8 or 9 pipes are your return lines.. Where the water comes back into your pool after it has been through the filter.. Most of the time, return lines have eyeballs on them, to allow for some directional control...

Thanks,

Jim R.

The pool has three or four pair of those returns as well. The produce fairly strong jets of water that promote mixing. I don't recall ever feeling water coming out of the ones in the pictures, but when the water temperature get above 50° or so, I'll jump in the pool and try to detect flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.