Water level / Blowing out with auto cover

With a cyclone you don't need to drain below the returns. You simply cap the lines while bubbles shoot out. It has crazy CFM but not all that much psi.

With a cyclone you don't need to drain below the returns. You simply cap the lines while bubbles shoot out. It has crazy CFM but not all that much psi.
I’m warming up to this idea but I’m still not putting together the pieces.

How would I achieve this? Last year I drained water, and blew from my skimmer. I air locked my main drain, and it was easy to know I got all the water out of my jets since they were above the water line.

If I don’t drain - and blow into the skimmer - For the return jets, is it just a matter of fighting the water and air pressure and just capping?

Would I have to blow from my filter / pump equipment to make sure the skimmer is empty
Thank you!!

Do exactly as you did last year from the skimmer. Turn the main drain off and blow the returns. They will look like a jacuzzi with all that air coming out and they are moderately easy to cap while the air is coming out. Then open the main drain and blow that, airlocking it once it blowing bubbles. Then add antifreeze to the skimmer pipes and add gizzmos.

Do exactly as you did last year from the skimmer. Turn the main drain off and blow the returns. They will look like a jacuzzi with all that air coming out and they are moderately easy to cap while the air is coming out. Then open the main drain and blow that, airlocking it once it blowing bubbles. Then add antifreeze to the skimmer pipes and add gizzmos.
Even though the air would be blowing out of the returns, wouldn’t -some- water still get in while I’m trying to cap it? Should I use any special kind of cap if it’s submerged?

What about water level relative to skimmer. Should I still be below skimmer, so no water remains in it?

with this method, I would not be able to put antifreeze in the return jets. Is that ok?

Even though the air would be blowing out of the returns, wouldn’t -some- water still get in while I’m trying to cap it?
Not with a cyclone or any other high CFM device.
Should I use any special kind of cap if it’s submerged?
Up to you if you prefer blow through bungee plugs or threaded return plugs. I used a duck plug once and long story short it was not robust and never again. Lol.
What about water level relative to skimmer. Should I still be below skimmer, so no water remains in it?
Again, up to you. Either drain and put the cyclone hose directly to the skimmer pipe, or don't drain and use a blow through gizzmo or DIY a 18 inch(?) PVC pipe with a threaded coupler to fit the skimmer pipe.
with this method, I would not be able to put antifreeze in the return jets. Is that ok?
Yes. The cyclone will literally empty the pipes. *if* some condensation collects it will be at the low point which is below the frost line, but it probably won't. I blow my antifreeze out in the spring and it comes out as nuclear pink as it went in. Even diluted 1:1 it would lose some vibrancy.

So antifreeze when properly blown is extra, extra insurance as you've already emptied the pipe. Lol. RV/Marine antifreeze is $4 a jug at Lowes and Walmart, so I use it, but if I couldn't due to high water levels, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Also, you can pull the last union at the pad and add a gallon of antifreeze to each return leg. It'll find its way to the low spot.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.