Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Hello everyone,

I found out I have a small leak on the tube going upward from my pomp to my filter. I try putting it tighter but it didn't help. Looking at the installation, it seems there's some kind of silicone that was applied at the installation. How do I fix this?

Thank you!

Attachments

• PXL_20240509_152059314.jpg
    PXL_20240509_152059314.jpg
    387.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20240509_152109134.jpg
    PXL_20240509_152109134.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 10
Is the leak coming from the connection into the top of the pump? That large diameter white piece looks like a union. that union has a seal in it. Could that be leaking “down” and it appears the leak is from the black connection? If it is the Union, then just undo it, lube the seal in it and retighten.

If it is the connection to the pump, then I would stop the pump, undo the Union and then unscrew the piece going into the pump. Adding more silicone won’t help. It is best to unscrew it, check the threads and also there may be an oring seal, lube it and reinstall it.

Hello everyone,

I found out I have a small leak on the tube going upward from my pomp to my filter. I try putting it tighter but it didn't help. Looking at the installation, it seems there's some kind of silicone that was applied at the installation. How do I fix this?

Thank you!
The silicone will pull off easily. You can't seal a pressure leak from the outside with silicone. Remove the union, with Teflon tape wrap about 5 or 6 tight wraps, put a bit of silicone sealant over that and reinstall the union. In the picture the part is already threaded in too far. There should always be about 3-5 threads showing in a properly tightened fitting like that. If it has to be threaded in all the way to stop the leak, get a new union, the existing one is ruined.

Yeah it's water coming up from the con section between the pump and the pipe. It was sold and installed like that by the pool installer. I don't know what the translucide stuff is.

So I unscrewed the adapter, removed all of the teflon tape and the little silicon they put. I've put new silicon tape, screwed it so about 3 turn of thread show, still leak. I screwed it more, still leak.... I'm starting to think they knew about this and the original stuff was maybe glue. It's the original installation

edit: just screwed it all the way down, no more leak for now

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
So I unscrewed the adapter, removed all of the teflon tape and the little silicon they put. I've put new silicon tape, screwed it so about 3 turn of thread show, still leak. I screwed it more, still leak.... I'm starting to think they knew about this and the original stuff was maybe glue. It's the original installation

edit: just screwed it all the way down, no more leak for now
Great. Just monitor it over time - especially with temperature swings from summer to winter (if you keep it running).

Oh in the winter, it's closed and emptied. The temperature drop below -30c so can't have a pool running!