Water Flowing Back Into Pool When Pump Turned Off

BlairF

Aug 14, 2017
San Antonio
I recently replaced my filter and pump and now when I shut off the pump all the water reverses back through the pump and skimmer which causes my pump to strain re-priming itself every day. When the pump is running I notice no bubbles in the basket nor the return jets in the pool, but I do see a drip of water coming out of the filter drain plug. It is the plug that is screwed into the fiberglass shell and not the actual cap leaking.

Would this be the cause of having all the water reverse back through the system? Also, what would be the best route to repair this if so (hopefully not draining the entire tank of water and sand).

Thank you!

Thanks for the responses but the issue has been fixed. After I back washed with the new equipment I no longer have this issue. I am thinking maybe some air was trapped in when I installed the new piping, but the system does not have a check valve, I am thinking this is something I should add.

Blair,

In a well operating system the water should not flow backwards into the pool. Adding a check valve may keep the pump from draining, but it does not fix the original problem.

If you have ever put your thumb over the end of a straw and pulled the straw out of a glass of water, you know the water is not going to drain out of the straw until you take your thumb off the end..

Your pump acts the same way.. No air in, no water out. Sound to me like you have already corrected the issue.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.